Thread: Random well

Guild Adept Guild Sponsor

Post Random well

After spending ages staring at a map by Cisticola with some absolutely amazing ruined floors, I thought I'd try my had at making a floor missing some chunks.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	random-well.jpg 
Views:	154 
Size:	455.3 KB 
ID:	74295

It's decent, but not nearly as good as Cisticola's. I wish I knew how that was done. If he had to position every stone on that thing manually, the mind boggles.

I threw in the well and vines to add some focal points. They're frankly less interesting than the floor.

That crumbled stone floor on Cisticola's map is actually a photo texture of a real floor (from CGTextures). I have it in my collection and have used it in one of my maps. It's awesome!

I think you're off to a good start with your broken floor. Some of your edges do look a bit too rounded, though. Try making them more straight, uneven, jagged, etc. And also, I'd suggest trying it without the bevel effect. The edges being smooth and slightly glossy doesn't work well for an old, broken, crumbling effect.

I love the little piece just below the well, where you've cut it out and put it back down with a rotation! You should do more like that, scattered all around.

Oh good, if it's in CG Textures I can get a copy. I don't suppose you have any notion which section that pic is in? It's sometimes difficult finding anything in CG Textures -- the categorization is decent, but sometimes when I know there's a specific photo in there someplace I just can't find it.

I'll probably play with this some more when I get home. Thanks for the encouragement!

You're welcome!

One other thing you could also do, to make your floor look even more grungy, is put some dirt patch overlays on top of your stones.

That texture is in Floors > Medieval
    direct link

Awesome, thanks.

I love your encounter maps, by the way. I've got all of them, and most of them have seen use in my campaign. Gloam Mire Road became the site of a key fight between some vampires and werewolves in the shadowy land of Undrendal, and Miasma Summit got used in a fight with Cocidius, fallen traitor-herald of a dead god.

Hey WD, another thing you can do to achieve variation with something like that - once you find a good set of floor tiles, even if they aren't all messed up and broken, is to create a layer mask and mask out certain tiles. Then on a layer under the tiles you can have a really nasty looking grungy layer that will show through where the masked areas are.
    I can do an example to show you if needed. That is a good way to be able to reuse good tile images and still get a lot of variation.

Along with what Neyjour said about the dirt on top, you could get a lot of different looks from the same texture image.

That's actually exactly what I did in the one I posted -- used a layer mask to cut holes in the basic texture to let the dirt show through.

Ah, well... there you go.
    This place has some good free textures too, though they do have a daily limit - http://texturelib.com/

Quote Originally Posted by wdmartin View Post
    Awesome, thanks.

I love your encounter maps, by the way. I've got all of them, and most of them have seen use in my campaign. Gloam Mire Road became the site of a key fight between some vampires and werewolves in the shadowy land of Undrendal, and Miasma Summit got used in a fight with Cocidius, fallen traitor-herald of a dead god.
    No prob! And I know exactly what you mean about not being able to remember where specific textures are located at CGTextures. I've even downloaded some of the same ones twice by accident. So what I started doing recently is I made a folder just for CGTextures, and created a sub-folder structure that matches theirs. That way I can quickly and easily see if I've already got a certain one. It also comes in really handy when others ask where to find specific ones.

And thank you! I'm so glad to know that you've enjoyed using my maps!

Quote Originally Posted by J.Edward View Post
    Ah, well... there you go.
    This place has some good free textures too, though they do have a daily limit - http://texturelib.com/
    Thanks for that link! I'd never head of that site before. What a terrific resource! When I hit the daily limit I was like, "Noooooo!" Oh well, back again tomorrow....

Thanks J.Edward, that's a great site.

cgtextures has some great grunge masks that work well for making a floor look a bit dirty and broken up.
    Here are some of the ones I use.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DecalsDamage0065_3_S.png 
Views:	63 
Size:	1.22 MB 
ID:	74333Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DecalsDamage0028_3_S.png 
Views:	58 
Size:	242.3 KB 
ID:	74334Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DecalsDamage0065_1_S.png 
Views:	63 
Size:	877.8 KB 
ID:	74335Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DecalsDamage0034_3_S.png 
Views:	56 
Size:	405.3 KB 
ID:	74336