Quote Originally Posted by atpollard View Post
I take nothing away from the splendid craftsmanship and beauty of 'Flowery Scroll' or 'Old Paper', but I can't help but feel a little disappointed at the heavy preference for 'traditional' and 'old school' submissions by the community at large. A lot of entries were truly out of the box and (strictly IMO) deserved more attention than they got.
I understand your argument but I think in that case it's hard to point at anyone (I am not implying that you tried to do so). I pretty much love the Tribal Compass by Elzevir because it is very artistic and original. Of course we should appreciate out-of-the-box-thinking and creative ideas about how to reinvent certain things. But on the other hand we already have a wide variety of styles that have worked in the past so why "change a running compass rose" and people want to see how old concepts can be filled with new live by using modern techniques (vector-graphics) to relize them ...
So instead of being disappointed I think you should enforce challenges that more explicitly demand out-of-the-box-thinking

(my english got a little rusty in the last couple of months. I hope my english was able to transport the message)