Thread: Merridia

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Hehe... hitting that sign makes a huge difference Thank you so much, also for your detailed explanation of calculating it! I think I got it now A pity I can't award reputation yet.

I excluded castle, temple and river while counting only buildings within the city walls and ended up with 302 acres -> 66 people / 1 acre. Metropolis would'nt be the right word for Merridia, but it still would be a large town/small city according to the guide. Not really what I imagined
    I'm thinking about simply increasing the number of inhabitants.

Some research results (Wikipedia hooray!):
    Cologne (1500): 40.000 - biggest city in germany
    London (1500): 125.000
    Hamburg (~1500): 20.000
    Lübeck (1502): 25.444
    Nürnberg (1485): 36.000

As with about 42.000 inhabitants Merridia would be a "large city" following the guide, that's my choice The wards outside the city wall will be built quite loosely.

I will go on with drawing the buildings
    Fantastische Kartographie - illustrations & maps by Schattenherz | DeviantArt | Drachenblut - german RPG board & world

Quote Originally Posted by Schattenherz View Post
    Hehe... hitting that sign makes a huge difference Thank you so much, also for your detailed explanation of calculating it! I think I got it now
    No problem

If you take some 'real world' examples I could add, that the density of buildings in the middle ages was not that high - even in cities. There were fields, vineyards and gardens all over the place. It took until the 19th century to cover this space within the city walls. Cologne had a density of ~100 people per ha (40.47/acre) around the year 1500 (didn't do research on that - I am pretty sure that I remember it correctly, but be aware ).

>Moe
    If I stare at the country long enough
    I can prise it off the paper,
    lift it like a flap of skin.
    - Moniza Alvi, 1993 -