Thanks again, guys.

Hai-Etlik, that was extremely informative and I will make sure to apply most of that in future globe maps as far as I am able to. For now, can I stick with my "solution" (which is no solution because I didn't think) and excuse it with the theme being fantasy? Authenticity is very important to me and I'd sacrifice as little as possible, yet beauty and convenience play a major role as well. So I'm kinda torn, really.

And regarding the rivers and lakes; yeah, I knew that (yay, something!), but I was too lazy to draw rivers from every but so small body of water to an ocean at such an early state.
Speaking of states: Can I edit the map later on? Surely there won't be nukes blasting holes into the crust, but I'm thinking of lables, maybe newly discovered rivers, hills and mountains. I would be content with making this one as detailed as possible without spoiling opportunities for the players and instead continously crafting new regional maps, though. The global thing representing a mere overview in that case. But why not have both if possible?

Cheers
Skull