Thread: Greetings!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Seriously don't worry about not being artistic. Drawing a good map (depends on the style of course) is more about procedure ... it's more like doing Soduku or a crossword. It's a question of seeing in your mind's eye what you generally want and then fighting the software....and then playing with all the sliders and buttons that you can see and finding something wonderful and using that (even though it wasn't quite what you wanted in the first place). That's my approach to mapping in a nutshell.

Quote Originally Posted by ravells View Post
    Seriously don't worry about not being artistic. Drawing a good map (depends on the style of course) is more about procedure ... it's more like doing Soduku or a crossword. It's a question of seeing in your mind's eye what you generally want and then fighting the software....and then playing with all the sliders and buttons that you can see and finding something wonderful and using that (even though it wasn't quite what you wanted in the first place). That's my approach to mapping in a nutshell.
    I agree. I'm a relative noob with only moderate artistic skills, so I don't feel like I should be making pretty maps. But I feel like the quality of my maps improved dramatically in just a day or two as I learned how to use noise and filters to do a lot of the heavy lifting.

Stick with it for a bit and I suspect you will be impressed.

I'll have to give it another go, I did find a program from these forums that lets you create random continents, I'll see if I can't find a map I like from that, then shouldn't be to hard to add terrain and such to that.

Guild Apprentice

Hey there,

Don't be discouraged so easily. The first time I used a friend's Photoshop to make something, I was staring at it for a good thirty minutes. I never did get to making maps that day. All I can say is follow some of the tutorials on here, they're really good.

Good luck, and show us something soon!