Perhaps I'm overly cynical The Cartographist, but the new encounter format seems to be a way to cram the smallest amount of content into the greatest amount of space. If you don't like it, you may want to skip 4th ed, as all of the 4th ed modules will be using it (and will be nearly thirty bucks US retail (20 British pounds?) to boot).

If you liked the original Castle Ravenloft map, download for free the pdf supplement to the Dungeon Magazine 133 Adventure "Kings of the Rift". The adventure was a high level installment in the Age of Worms adventure path. It features a 3d map of the Citadel of Weeping Dragons in the giant stronghold of Kongen-Tholnir done in semi-Ravenloft style (although the map is in tan, black, and white and not color as the orig Ravenloft map was).

It was a great adventure (although it would take extensive adaptation to use it outside of the AOW) and the map brought back many pleasant oldschool memories. You can find the Dungeon 133 map supplement available for download at http://paizo.com/dungeon/resources/downloads.

Mona and company had a flair for doing cool adventures and commissioning cool maps--they had one adventure map for a dungeon that was essentially a giant water flume, I'll see if I can hunt down that adventure supplement.