Thread: The Imperial City Of Leggarium

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

One thing I would like to suggest with "planned" city maps like that is to add a little age. By that I mean, after the plans have been drawn up and the original streetplan and buildings have been constructed, it will then begin to grow naturally (unless there is some official law preventing that, but halting growth is usually a bad policy for a prosperous city). So you have your big planned old city (the circle/star part) and then the small fauburgs (sp?) begin springing up all around the outside, generally unplanned in nature. Also, your poor districts are usually going to be on the fringe too as property in the centre/along the main roads become more desirable.

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Wip

Quote Originally Posted by Larb View Post
    One thing I would like to suggest with "planned" city maps like that is to add a little age. By that I mean, after the plans have been drawn up and the original streetplan and buildings have been constructed, it will then begin to grow naturally (unless there is some official law preventing that, but halting growth is usually a bad policy for a prosperous city). So you have your big planned old city (the circle/star part) and then the small fauburgs (sp?) begin springing up all around the outside, generally unplanned in nature. Also, your poor districts are usually going to be on the fringe too as property in the centre/along the main roads become more desirable.
    I actually changed the layout somewhat from the original first image. The orange (smaller) buildings on the outside of the ring are now the "workers" or "poor" section. and the inner larger buildings are for the Nobles. I decided to keep my law about no one but the royal family and nobility owning land or property. (they can bestow this honor on whomever they choose but rarely do). Todays update: I added some "texture" to the ground and added the docks. I added a few barbicans to the outside wall but I'm not sure I'm going to keep them.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	imperial city of leggariumgif.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	4.63 MB 
ID:	35760
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.