Thread: Hand painted maps

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Guild Apprentice Facebook Connected

I'm stubborn. I'll figure this out. I mean if people can do stuff like this - Mountain Landscape Original Large Chinese Brush by CLineCreations - then surely I can figure out how to make simple, decent maps Just gotta figure out these darn brushes first....

Did another map tonight but...ouch. It's bad. Really bad. Not going to throw it away, but not gonna post it either

Quote Originally Posted by languard View Post
    I'm stubborn. I'll figure this out. I mean if people can do stuff like this - Mountain Landscape Original Large Chinese Brush by CLineCreations - then surely I can figure out how to make simple, decent maps Just gotta figure out these darn brushes first....

Did another map tonight but...ouch. It's bad. Really bad. Not going to throw it away, but not gonna post it either
    Oh, ink is an excellent medium for map making and painting/drawing in general! I've done a bit with ink, but mostly with art and calligraphy pens. Brushing ink is more difficult but well worth it. I applaud your efforts, languard. If I might offer a suggestion....

It's not so much the amount of practice drawing maps but the attention to the technical aspect... learning the various ways in which stokes can be made and then practicing the movements until you've got it enough (first to be able to get the results you were aiming for and later experimenting with style development). It might help if you pick out a few single strokes from that ink painting you referenced and fill half a page with them. Then fill the rest of the page with a couple types of multi-stroke items (mountains, trees or ?). You'll develop a feel for and confidence using the brushes more quickly that way, and confidence is a large part of ink painting.

There are also a ton of useful videos on YouTube if you like to learn by watching... I've watched a bunch of Henry Li's videos: Henry Li - YouTube

Oh, and before I forget... Great maps! Double points ... Monty Python and the Holy Grail: black beast of Arrrggghhh - YouTube ... for the Monty Python reference!
    Kaitlin Gray - Art, Maps, Etc | Patreon | Instagram