Thread: [WIP] Castle Ravenloft 2D Battle Maps REDUX!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Interested in make my own board game maps.

Hi wthrasherd I´m just looking for any program or software to make similar maps like yours. As I´ve seen in the forum many of the maps are made with textures in software like gimp or photoshop, but I´ve read about other programs like Dundjinni or Fractal Mapper. Do you use any of these programs or simply you use image and textures to make your scenery? By the way I love your map and the details of the ground, stones of walls and clouds...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by danteinmix View Post
    Hi wthrasherd I´m just looking for any program or software to make similar maps like yours. As I´ve seen in the forum many of the maps are made with textures in software like gimp or photoshop, but I´ve read about other programs like Dundjinni or Fractal Mapper. Do you use any of these programs or simply you use image and textures to make your scenery? By the way I love your map and the details of the ground, stones of walls and clouds...
    Hello, danteinmix!

I use Photoshop and Illustrator to do my artwork. I utilize some "pre-made" elements from various cartography programs such as Campaign Cartographer Annuals, Dunjinni Community, mapTool community. But I've really found that making my own stuff is the best way to go. So I have spent hours creating textures and such just for my maps. When I was creating this Castle Ravenloft map, I was just beginning to try to do as much on my own as possible. It was slow and difficult to find "pre-made" artwork that suited my needs.

Photoshop or a GIMP variant is the way to go. Illustrator or a vector image app (Inkscape maybe?) is useful for making some elements.

To "redraw" a map in a game book, or to do an original map of your own design really needs "freehand" drawing or tracing. What I mean is there are lots of "modular" cartography options on the market, but to use those you really need to create the map first THEN decide what purpose it serves. Some people like to design that way. I like to know what the purpose is first, then draw a map that is appropriate.

Since I first discovered fantasy role-playing games, I have drawn maps and thought up my own worlds and fantastic places. I truly love just to let my pen wander and come up with something and often I'll write something about it and bam... idea for later use! I have only recently (past 7-8 years) have been teaching myself how to do stuff digitally. Maps are also not my focus right now (obviously), but I'm working on balancing out the personal/day job life and some indie publishing. So I hope to be back on the map train soon.

As for what textures and such that I use: some come from cartography apps (as I mentioned above) but I have a photography hobby and take pictures of EVERYTHING. I also have tons of stock images I use for composite work and such. I take this and that and play mad scientist in Photoshop and see what happens. If I find something I really like, I save it for later use (perk of digital work). I'm also pressed for time and can be lazy when it comes to some of the more "boring" parts of the maps, so sometimes I may find a style or look of someone else or some random image and I will imitate it in my own fashion.

I sincerely appreciate your interest and your kind words. Apparently, I should have finished this map... People from all over the web (outside of this site somehow) have hit me up about it and still do (as you have) all these years later. That's AWESOME. Thank you very much. Please feel free to ask any further questions.

Peace be with you.