Thread: Merridia

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Looking good! I really like the second one. When converting population to city size I work on the principle of having on average about 10 people to a building (in medieval times it was probably more but the data I've come across says that it is unreliable, I'm working on the principle that people living in the middle of the cities live in blocks), so a population of 20,000 people = about 2,000 buildings. From the sources I've read city populations in Medieval European cities have a density of about 100 - 300 people an acre. 1 Acre = 0.0040469 Square Kilometre. So, working on these (wildly assumptive) figures the size of a city of 20,0000 people would be between 0.8 square km to 0.2 square km.

Working on 0.8 square km city size, I fire up RPG City creator (a very clever bit of free software - do a site search here and you will find it). I make a city of 2,000 buildings covering an area of 1 km. The resulting generated city gives me a vague idea of what I need as a reference.

:: edit :: Ninja'd by Moe!

Quote Originally Posted by ravells View Post
    :: edit :: Ninja'd by Moe!
    I feel sorry, Ravells

@Schattenherz
    I added the links to my initial post - you could check page 23 to get a compact version of different types of cities, their number of inhabitants and the density of structures per acre.

>Moe
    If I stare at the country long enough
    I can prise it off the paper,
    lift it like a flap of skin.
    - Moniza Alvi, 1993 -