Thread: [WIP] Estreoth

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

I really like the color scheme you've got going there; everything blends really well, and the pattern in the desert looks especially good. If I had to pick one thing that bugs me, I'd say it's the massive amount of ocean; having that much open space around the landmass makes the whole map look unbalanced somehow. If you were to cut off that entire western ocean and move the scale bar and title graphic over, I think it might balance out better.

Also, your rivers appear to be different colors from place to place (although that might be intentional), and they're hard to see in the Jenam Valley region.

As for mountains, you might try Pasis' mountain tutorial; that might be just the ticket for this map.

Overall, it looks very good though. Have some rep!

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond View Post
    I really like the color scheme you've got going there; everything blends really well, and the pattern in the desert looks especially good. If I had to pick one thing that bugs me, I'd say it's the massive amount of ocean; having that much open space around the landmass makes the whole map look unbalanced somehow. If you were to cut off that entire western ocean and move the scale bar and title graphic over, I think it might balance out better.

Also, your rivers appear to be different colors from place to place (although that might be intentional), and they're hard to see in the Jenam Valley region.
    Yeah I might end up cutting off some ocean. I just enlarged the map and made a new outline without much of a plan. Course I'll end up expanding this one last time when I decided to change this to a global map.

And your right about the rivers. Turns out I had a slight bug with the river layers, the Jenam Valley's rivers were all on the Jurasha's group, which was beneath some detail brushing. Although the river colors are still a tad off with their base colors (thank you Eyedropper tool). One note though, the Vehra's rivers are intentional, since they're dried up.

As for mountains, you might try Pasis' mountain tutorial; that might be just the ticket for this map.

Overall, it looks very good though. Have some rep!
    I'll be sure to check it out. I made a small patch of mountains with a technique I pulled from no where, but the effect was pretty bad over the central regions.

Thanks for the feedback

I rather like how the mountains turned out, although against the flat looking landscape it sticks out a tad too much. I'll have to fix that with some later painting. This version fixes some of the rivers (I placed them above the mountain layers in their own group). Also removes the frozen beaches from the northern area. Lastly I added some subtle ocean texture along with some base land texture for variety.

It's getting hard to work on though. The PSD size is 122mb.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	EstreothMapAlpha2.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	743.7 KB 
ID:	26275