Thread: Map for a Worldbuilding Project - Majy'sa

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by Soixante View Post
    Hi Paramenides.

I couldn't resist tinkering with your map. I think the general continent outlines are very good, so good that I was inspired to suggest a possible biome distribution. If you're not super into deciding every aspect of ocean currents, prevailing winds, rainfall etc etc, I think something like this is realistic enough. I know a fair bit about how tectonics, climate, etc, works. Unlike some people though, I tend to wing it, with the main goal being a world that seems plausible. And I feel that this one is. I did try to include all the features you wanted, except an additional archipelago. Several good places to put a couple of those, though. Please note that this is just a suggestion and a nudge forward, as I think you're off to a good start with these continents. Change it or throw it away as you like.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	landmasses2.jpg 
Views:	860 
Size:	163.4 KB 
ID:	43180
    Wow, impressive! Although I would believe I try to reflect a realistic global climate as such, I don't foresee ending up with something as convincing as that in my projects...

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected

Quote Originally Posted by Scipio View Post
    Wow, impressive! Although I would believe I try to reflect a realistic global climate as such, I don't foresee ending up with something as convincing as that in my projects...
    The key is geography; understand how continents are formed, how seasons work, patterns of rain and wind, of currents and rivers. And the more you try, the better you get. I want to see what you come up with.
    This cavern is below all, and is the foe of all. It is hatred, without exception. This cavern knows no philosophers; its dagger has never cut a pen. Its blackness has no connection with the sublime blackness of the inkstand. Never have the fingers of night which contract beneath this stifling ceiling, turned the leaves of a book nor unfolded a newspaper.

Quote Originally Posted by Lalaithion View Post
    The key is geography; understand how continents are formed, how seasons work, patterns of rain and wind, of currents and rivers. And the more you try, the better you get. I want to see what you come up with.
    Right... I've taken a couple of courses in geography, so I understand the basic idea of plate tectonics (but have no idea how to create realistic plates or continents), know how atmospheric wind circulation works, et cetera, but sometimes it seems like you have to just kinda go with instinct in certain decisions. Such as which side (E/W) of a continent is dry and which is wet. I guess that would have something to do with currents though. I don't mean to jack the thread, so back on topic.

@OP Yeah, it seems like there are two camps in terms of realism. There are the simulationists, who want as realistic a world as possible and therefore build top-down, and the others usually more into the narrative of high fantasy, who are more willing to use magic liberally and build bottom up. Although I for one like to work toward the former, I don't think either is necessarily better, so don't feel like you have to do one method.