Thread: Antique (or faux antique) globe projection styles--what is this one called?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Blog Entries

I really can't think of any pseudocylindrical projection which would give this property or any reason you would make a projection that would have it except to get this very specific property, which really serves no purpose. You would need something like Mollweide, but "more so"; going beyond being equivalent to actually causing areas to decrease the further you get from the equator. There's just no reason to do that.

I think you've confused different maps with each other or otherwise misremembered them, or you've seem pictures that weren't real maps and didn't make sense.
    Last edited by Hai-Etlik; 09-26-2012 at 10:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hai-Etlik View Post
    I think you've confused different maps with each other or otherwise misremembered them, or you've seem pictures that weren't real maps and didn't make sense.
    That's kind of the point I'm trying to convey here! (Hence my frustrated "does this remind anyone of anything" request. ) I don't remember what the map looked like, but I'm certain it was not anything that we would consider a faithful rendering of the planet Earth, nor, strictly speaking, a projection, at least not in the sense of applying a mathematical formula. Think more along the lines of 16thC and earlier maps, or of fantasy maps! In other words, far less concerned with what we know today is accuracy, and far more concerned with showing important things, and/or overall visual effect.

It's perfectly possible that I'm conflating two or more styles in my mind, but having spent the past several hours looking at all sorts of truly odd early "projections," I'm starting to think I've got a better chance at finding something like I'm remembering than I really expected!

(PS--this is the voice of frustration, not the voice of ingratitude! I appreciate the responses.)