Thread: Large Dungeon Near College Town

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

It makes total sense, and it's understandable to be reluctant in this situation. You can always set a certain level range, and work off of that. Thomden did some wonderful bookmarks that operate in this way, seen here. Those bookmarks are excellent because they show how you can keep it short and sweet, but still convey the overall idea that you're trying to get across.

You can also throw level-based out the window and work purely off roleplaying. Like they say, there are many different kinds of monsters in the world, and a lot of them are not your level. "We have to fight until the end, until we're all dead if that's what it takes!" said no player ever, if the chance of running away is readily feasible. Maybe there is a baddy way beyond the level of the PC's in this dungeon, and is that unreasonable? Not at all, it will give the players something to work towards if anything else, and there is no harm or foul from the PCs waiting until they're a higher level and better equipped to handle something of that challenge rating.

Guild Expert Facebook Connected XCali's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Adfor View Post
    It makes total sense, and it's understandable to be reluctant in this situation. You can always set a certain level range, and work off of that. Thomden did some wonderful bookmarks that operate in this way, seen here. Those bookmarks are excellent because they show how you can keep it short and sweet, but still convey the overall idea that you're trying to get across.

You can also throw level-based out the window and work purely off roleplaying. Like they say, there are many different kinds of monsters in the world, and a lot of them are not your level. "We have to fight until the end, until we're all dead if that's what it takes!" said no player ever, if the chance of running away is readily feasible. Maybe there is a baddy way beyond the level of the PC's in this dungeon, and is that unreasonable? Not at all, it will give the players something to work towards if anything else, and there is no harm or foul from the PCs waiting until they're a higher level and better equipped to handle something of that challenge rating.
    Definitely food for thought. Thank you.

I think that second point you made is more attractive. The levels and monster difficulty is not something I can yet lean on to use on my maps. So, story is going to be the back for the time being.

That said, I started a map today for more that one reason, but now it has got me thinking of what is on the other side of this mountain with the cave. Maybe a hidden stronghold was in the mountains forgotten with time. What happened to it that it went silent in the first place. Is it whatever is causing the frost to take over the caves? The party will have to find out. Though, they might trigger an ancient beacon that sets in motion an army to to stir in the west destroying everything on its way to the stronghold, having them have to defend the peace of their town by taking a stand in the old ruins in the mountains.

### Latest WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mountain_Stronghold_byOmri.jpeg 
Views:	30 
Size:	3.09 MB 
ID:	114800

(Hehe, the map pack is expanding. )

~ Maps-DriveThruRPG ~Free Maps and Assets ~Current Project~

My web novels
    Instagram handle: instagram.com/omrihope
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ~The heavens declare the glory of God;
    the skies proclaim the work of His hands.
    Day after day they pour forth speech;
    night after night they reveal knowledge.
    ~ Psalm 19

Quote Originally Posted by XCali View Post
    Definitely food for thought. Thank you.

I think that second point you made is more attractive. The levels and monster difficulty is not something I can yet lean on to use on my maps. So, story is going to be the back for the time being.

That said, I started a map today for more that one reason, but now it has got me thinking of what is on the other side of this mountain with the cave. Maybe a hidden stronghold was in the mountains forgotten with time. What happened to it that it went silent in the first place. Is it whatever is causing the frost to take over the caves? The party will have to find out. Though, they might trigger an ancient beacon that sets in motion an army to to stir in the west destroying everything on its way to the stronghold, having them have to defend the peace of their town by taking a stand in the old ruins in the mountains.

### Latest WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mountain_Stronghold_byOmri.jpeg 
Views:	30 
Size:	3.09 MB 
ID:	114800

(Hehe, the map pack is expanding. )
    That sounds fun! Nothing like a mindless army marching towards a goal unwaveringly, just be careful with that type of power, players don't start facing troop-based mobs until higher levels, usually 8-10+.