Page 10 of 33 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast

Thread: Thinking Big - Torq's landgrab - choose a territory

Quote Originally Posted by delgondahntelius View Post
    This seems to have taken off in a big way, perhaps the admins might consider making a completely new topic in the main forum for it... in the mapmaking section would probably work.... just a suggestion..
    Apparently they're working on that

Also, since you picked the place beside mine, we have 2 (3 really, but 2 of them merged) rivers that go across, how would you like to do that? And do you want to do that in PM's or just post away in this thread
    And our time is flyin', see the candle burnin' low
    Is the new world rising, from the shambles of the old
    ~The Rover - Led Zeppelin

Sure Del, welcome on board. 28 and 29 are all your. Nice coastal area to develop. Have a look at whats been said about the cultures in the Western section of the map. Your crew will be pretty isolated from that so will in all likelihood be a completely different culture. Also the plague lands (an idea that seems to have stuck) are in the middle and will definately affect you.

Torq
    The internet! It\'ll never catch on.

Software Used: Terranoise, Wilbur, Terragen, The Gimp, Inkscape, Mojoworld

Quote Originally Posted by Airith View Post
    Ok, I'm guessing that each square is supposed to be 600x600 right?

I've blown up my square, with some of the area around it to that measurement. Also, we're using the rivers that are on the first page right? I's hard to get the same area because they're 2 different sized pictures.
    Not quite.

As I said, because of the Sphere-Flat conversion the area depicted is:

They aren't 'quite' 600x600. Remeber, because of the 'flattening' of a sphere, the north/south distance is the same but the 'top' of the image 1350 miles east west, bottom is 2616 miles east west, so the top's total east/west is almost 50% of the same distance as on the bottom.
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Alucard, That little 'sliver' of land that projects down from your region into mine, I have no problem if you wish to map that out. Seems logical it would likely be part of some nation in your end.
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

I got thinking when I read some posts referring to neighbour areas. Maybe the area that has the majority of a feature that crosses over a boundary should give it a name and any special characteristics to the feature. Features could be a lake, inland sea, mountain range, swamp, etc. Where rivers cross an area boundary they are left there at the point of crossing, though the rest of the river may be altered as needed within the area.

PS: Thanx for creating a separate forum for this project.

I be going away this weekend so there will be no progress from me for now, also have a major deadline in a programming project next week.
    Last edited by DarkOne; 04-03-2008 at 11:57 PM.

I just can't stand seeing that hole in the middle of the map. Has anyone laid claim to #14 yet? If not, I'll take it. I'll need some input from my neighbors: GP, Kagehito, Airith, Su_Liam, Venardhi, Torq, and Clercon. What notions do you guys have so far, and what can I do in my area to reinforce them?
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Of course you can have 14 Mid. I was wondering when somebody'e sense of proportion would become so offended that they would feel the need to fill the gap.

My region (13) is called Groam. Its people were historically rather independent without much in the way of strategic or political alliances with other nations. Its a culture that in ages past grew wealthy as a result of rich silver deposits in its mountainous Eastern regions. But the silver ran out and the plague came, out of the East, carried by streams of a refugees. Huge barrier walls were erected to control the influx, and a special military order known as the Grey Watch (named for the greay skin blotches that mark the bodies of plague sufferes). The watch had an uneviable job, as Groam's frontiers retreated Westward behind them, but still rumours of atrocities began to reach the ears of the city dwellers in the cities. The watch became notorious and secretive. Several more walls followed as civilisation retreated Westwards to escape the scourge of the plague. Many doomsday cults sprang up togther with alternative religions fiaxted upon the plague and its significance. the plague sufferers themselves began to occupy large settlements abandoned in this way.

Today the walls are crumbling ruins and the plague had reached well beyond them. The migration has resulted in the few cities in the West swelling way beyond capacity. Poverty and crime are rife in those cities. The poor and indigent are preyed on by unscrupulous cults and scheming politicos. And everywhere there is fear of the dreaded plague.

I'm still working on the rest in my head.

Torq
    The internet! It\'ll never catch on.

Software Used: Terranoise, Wilbur, Terragen, The Gimp, Inkscape, Mojoworld

Fun! That's leaving me with a lot of ruined cities and fortresses on the western portion of the map, and a bit of post-apocalyptic stuff as I move east. I'm thinking there are a few mountain enclaves of healthy people who have learned to cope and might even have developed high rates of resistance to the plague, but they're cut off from the rest of civilization by ravenous plague-mad animals.

I think I'm going to try out that Bryce tutorial graciously provided by Anna. I've got some ideas about how to inject my own style into it.

Do we yet have any idea how long ago the plague first appeared and how long it's been since it started spreading out of control?
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Quote Originally Posted by Midgardsormr View Post
    I just can't stand seeing that hole in the middle of the map. Has anyone laid claim to #14 yet? If not, I'll take it. I'll need some input from my neighbors: GP, Kagehito, Airith, Su_Liam, Venardhi, Torq, and Clercon. What notions do you guys have so far, and what can I do in my area to reinforce them?
    My northwest corner is really mountainous looking and I doubt that there will be many settlements at all there. I'm also trying to avoid my northern section, apparently it's all plagued and stuff...
    And our time is flyin', see the candle burnin' low
    Is the new world rising, from the shambles of the old
    ~The Rover - Led Zeppelin

Give me map 3 too. Looking at the this map, I can form a kingdom that stretches from map 1 to 3. By nipping very top piece of land on map 6 (NeonKights), and pieces of land above the inlands seas of map 7 (Redrobes) and map 8 (Clercon) to form the southern boundary that includes the highlands in SE part of map 3. Eastern boundary would include the valley in between the two high lands of the E of map 3. The northern boundary can be defined later, though probably undefined as it wood become tundra.

I feel better is I work on a whole kingdom concept than a part of it, so the reason for requesting map 3 too. Alucard and myself will be designing this kingdom together.
    Last edited by DarkOne; 04-04-2008 at 07:41 AM.

Page 10 of 33 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast