Thread: The Tartarus - Prisoner Transport Deckplans

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Guild Journeyer

I've always wondered why cell doors in Science Fiction are always something that fails when the power goes off.

What ever happened to good old METAL doors and bars? Like really, a metal door, with a metal lock bar, does NOT easily open if someone trips the wrong breaker.

But I like the layout for the most part, but I think you should be able to cram far more criminals in there.

My personal favorite method for holding inmates for sci-fiction transit is in small life support pods. Stack them in like cord wood, and if anyone manages to get too wound up in their small coffin sized cells, then just lower their life support levels till they go back to sleep.

Quote Originally Posted by Talroth View Post
    I've always wondered why cell doors in Science Fiction are always something that fails when the power goes off.

What ever happened to good old METAL doors and bars? Like really, a metal door, with a metal lock bar, does NOT easily open if someone trips the wrong breaker.
    That's a good point and one I'm going to think about.

But I like the layout for the most part, but I think you should be able to cram far more criminals in there.
    I could see anywhere from 2 - 3 prisoners per cell. I assume slavers would fill the cells to max capacity. The cells are 5 ft wide and about 7 - 8 ft long. In the final write-up, I will probably include a range of prisoner capacity (i.e. 50 - 100 prisoners).

My personal favorite method for holding inmates for sci-fiction transit is in small life support pods. Stack them in like cord wood, and if anyone manages to get too wound up in their small coffin sized cells, then just lower their life support levels till they go back to sleep.
    My wife mentioned about putting all prisoners to sleep in cryogenic pods but I mentioned that the power requirements were too high and expensive and it was cheaper to treat the prisoners as rodents in a cage. I picture this prisoner transport ship as having various security measures set up including gas flooding the cell block rending all unconscious.
    Cheers,
    Tim

Paratime Design Cartography

"Do infants have as much fun in infancy as adults do in adultery?" - Groucho Marx

Guild Journeyer

Quote Originally Posted by Turgenev View Post
    My wife mentioned about putting all prisoners to sleep in cryogenic pods but I mentioned that the power requirements were too high and expensive and it was cheaper to treat the prisoners as rodents in a cage. I picture this prisoner transport ship as having various security measures set up including gas flooding the cell block rending all unconscious.
    Well, you stuff them into prisoner sized boxes, stuff a feeding tube down their throats, a few "collector" vacuum tubes up the needed holes, and provide just enough O2 to keep them from actually dieing. Chill them a little by a heat exchange on their O2 line that goes near a cold side of the hull.

A design I'm planning to use in a computer game, basically if you're not wealthy, the only way to travel is like that, possibly with come tissue stabilizing agents used to keep people from aging. Poor passengers would be handled the same as bulk containers! And be really screwed if someone messes up paperwork and stuffs them in the back of a warehouse for fifty years or so.