Thread: Software for mapping old video games ?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Thanks for the suggestions !

I've tried DungeonForger and it's indeed very simple and fits most of the requirements. But it's also old/dead and buggy.
    I also tried ViewingDale, spent a couple of minutes with without being able to draw a single wall, so it doesn't pass my dummy test
    Having to click on the small bullet in every menu to make a new menu appear was just painfull.

I also tried Gimp and its grid + snap functionality. Doesn't work as well as DungeonForge, but it's decent it doesn't crash
    I will try to see what Dia has to offer

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by papazark View Post
    I've tried DungeonForger and it's indeed very simple and fits most of the requirements. But it's also old/dead and buggy.

I also tried Gimp and its grid + snap functionality. Doesn't work as well as DungeonForge, but it's decent it doesn't crash
    I wouldn't argue with the the old/dead comment, at least so far as development is concerned, but I would dispute the idea that it is buggy. There are a small number of them, but they're all pretty much known now and all relatively minor - and there are workarounds. Ditto for the artificial/unnecessary limitations.

So long as you know how to avoid the known bugs, it is actually stable and I never have any crashes with it. Sad that there's not a developer to fix the minor bugs and limitations that exist, but there it is . Doesn't stop the prog being really useful.

What it does have going for it is that it is quick, easy to use and functional. Much easier to fire up and use than a lot of much bigger progs.

Blog Entries

When MUDing, I use graph paper; it's part of the experience. If I want to preserve it, I do a cleaned up version in Dia or Inkscape.