Thread: WIP Continent of Karanor

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

I agree, I like this map a lot as is. But as a constant style-experimenter I can understand the temptation!

Wanted to let you know though, that a lot of your place names sound really familiar (Parth Galen for example is from the Lord of the Rings) -- unless it's in homage, in which case disregard

Guild Novice

Thanks all. I like it simple too which is why I'll use this as a base for when I try the sepia style.

Quote Originally Posted by Gidde View Post
    I agree, I like this map a lot as is. But as a constant style-experimenter I can understand the temptation!

Wanted to let you know though, that a lot of your place names sound really familiar (Parth Galen for example is from the Lord of the Rings) -- unless it's in homage, in which case disregard
    This was not intentional, but I might have been subconsciously influenced because no doubt I have, like so many other, been inspired by Tolkien, not to mention Robert E. Howard, Lovecraft, George R.R. Martin, Dragonlance, Forgotten Realms etc. etc. I actually hate using names that have been used before or sound too familiar with well known products. But as it is sometimes you come up with a name you really like only to find that either you have actually read it somewhere before or its been used later by someone.
    For Instance take the name Kalamar, which I used for the first time some twenty years ago when I first started working on this world (it looked alot different back then), it has later been used as the name for a whole D20 setting, but I'm too stubborn to change a name that I in the first place came up with myself. At least to the best of my knowledge.
    Anyway, Parth Galen is one of my favourites too so I'm not gonna change that either and in the end its like music. There's so much of it nowadays that you can hardly create new without it sounding just slightly like something thats already been done

* actually, travelling back through some of the dusty cobwebbed caverns that is my brain, I realize that some of the names (like Ascavalon) are actually placeholder names for when I come up with something better. The problem is they have been for so long that I have almost forgotten to change them. hmm... perhaps I should clean up in here...*

Cheers
    L
    Last edited by Lucas_Adorn; 09-07-2009 at 03:40 AM.
    Need a name fast or inspiration for one? Click me