Thread: [WIP] High and dark fantesy map for book I'm writing

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Guild Novice Facebook Connected

Finenaly some feedback and the blues lines in the north meant to be an glacier receding leaving and lake then go down and cliff (the grey lines.) and flow out into the ocean also the "red-white-black something" the black part is an stronghold the white is salt (To have high contrast to help spotting of attackers.) and the red is lava. Also I never looked at any tutorials and I wanted it to look like its painted it poorly (hence the white in the ocean.) I'll post the updated version.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Map3.png 
Views:	326 
Size:	2.75 MB 
ID:	45017

Quote Originally Posted by Dominic Hipsher View Post
    ... I wanted it to look like its painted it poorly
    I don't know what kind of experience you have with digital painting, but it seems to me that you are trying to start your cartographer career with a rather difficult feat: you try to do a map that is to look as if it was done differently, and by a different person.

This requires a certain amount of planing and ability.
    First you have to consider just what style and method your fictional cartograper would use. What is his intention with this map? What tools does he have at his disposal? Just how did he do it?
    Then you personally would need to have the ability to "fake" this style and method in a digital way.

If your painter uses pencil, brush or quill, if he paints in crayon, chalk or oil colours... you need to be able to reproduce this on a computer. Your map, no offense meant, looks too digital.

I am definitly the wrong person to teach you about digital arts, but if you want to continue your map in this style, I am certain you can find helpful tutorials elsewhere on the web.
    Personally I can only ask you to consider starting over, and trying to do your map in one of the many different and quite easy to follow ways that this forum offers. I found Darklingrisen's , Gidde's or RobA's to be excellent tutorials to start with.
    Last edited by Freodin; 05-23-2012 at 06:20 AM.