Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Map

So here's the color version of Shab'Ra'Tan
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Shab'ra'tan 01c [L] by sirinkman.jpg 
Views:	185 
Size:	1.52 MB 
ID:	71133

I'm pretty pleased with how this turned out but as always I welcome any feedback. This one is unlikely to change but you might notice something I didn't.
    As regards the previous feedback - THW - thanks for all that. It's interesting that you used Max's Gh'orna as an example. I stated at the beginning that this was what inspired me to do this process. I will add that I don't think Max's is as 'rugged' as you would say. Look at the ridge line - it's more uniform than my second attempt on Paloket.
    That's no dig at Max either. I love that Gh'orna map - just as it is.
    As regards your map - it's a very different set of mountains to be sure. I do believe that the local versus regional thing does play into it. And when I am doing a larger regional map I will have to take that into account.

All that being said, I do agree with Sapiento in regards. I've hiked and climbed many mountains. Photographed even more. There are many mountain/hill types that do not follow that model. I think maybe the area one is from can influence one's view on things. I'm from central PA and there are ranges here that differ from most across the world.
    Long straight ranges that run for miles with zero zigzag. They're more humped or domed. I've encountered a lot in New York state that are more domed.
    I'm sure that affects my view on mountain and hill shapes generally. I do try different forms and shapes.
    I try all sorts of things. You are only seeing a minute fraction of the work that I do. That's kind of why I started this thread.
    I do a lot of maps but many don't go all the way to a finished map. There's just not enough time in a day, week, year, etc. to complete them.

Later, if I have time I might post some examples of some mountains and islands that I liked and used as inspiration in the past. There are some very interesting shapes and forms in northen Africa and throughout the middle east that I like. And many cool islands with mountains that may surprise you.

All that aside, I will be redoing the Tol'Imen lands. The ranges just don't look right. And I will give it a go at something more varied and rugged.

No remarks, just here to say: WOOOOOOWW! My mind is ready for immersion . The perspective labelling of the Sea is just the icing on the (amzing) cake...