Thread: Old GM, new here

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Another one for the oldsters. I don't want to think about how many years it's been since I first held an 8 sided die...hmmm, let me see - it was the original books in the Basic set box and I was captivated by the whole concept of building your own story. I can't even imagine the hours I spent rolling up characters and imagining them in the thick of adventure much less the actual playing. I remember our parents shaking their heads at us and saying things like, "I just don't see what you get out of that." We couldn't understand how they failed to see how great it was but I suppose if you didn't sit down and listen to the story unfolding as the dice rolled you would just see some kids huddled together chatting and rolling the dice from time to time.

Back in those days my best friend and I took turns GMing and it was truly a feat to survive. I think we were actually bent on killing one another off right down to the last Donkey. (ROFL) I'm not kidding, if your pack animals ran for their lives and survived it felt like a victory especially if they had the loot on them. As we matured we realized it was more interesting to see the PCs escape by the skin of their teeth. I guess that's why I still love stressing my players out. Oh the awesome excitement when everything stands on the edge of a knife blade and you have 5 people leaning forward as one person rattles the dice in their hand and hyperventilating lets them fly across the table....I love it. It almost always ends with whooping or wailing and that's what makes those epic moments they will remember for years.

Then there is the time my sister's character grabbed a staff from a room full of treasure and fell unconscious to the floor - the others checked to see she was alive and continued loading pockets albeit more cautiously. Then they realized the guardian had returned and they were trapped between a dragon and it's goodies. As they discussed tossing the unconscious player to the dragon like a steak at an angry dog so they could slip by my sister started berating them with "You guys SUCK!" In the end they didn't toss her but to this day she will glare at them when certain situations come up.

Anyway, enough of my prattle: WELCOME ABOARD!
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Guild Novice

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxilon View Post
    Another one for the oldsters. I don't want to think about how many years it's been since I first held an 8 sided die...hmmm, let me see - it was the original books in the Basic set box and I was captivated by the whole concept of building your own story. I can't even imagine the hours I spent rolling up characters and imagining them in the thick of adventure much less the actual playing. I remember our parents shaking their heads at us and saying things like, "I just don't see what you get out of that." We couldn't understand how they failed to see how great it was but I suppose if you didn't sit down and listen to the story unfolding as the dice rolled you would just see some kids huddled together chatting and rolling the dice from time to time.

Back in those days my best friend and I took turns GMing and it was truly a feat to survive. I think we were actually bent on killing one another off right down to the last Donkey. (ROFL) I'm not kidding, if your pack animals ran for their lives and survived it felt like a victory especially if they had the loot on them. As we matured we realized it was more interesting to see the PCs escape by the skin of their teeth. I guess that's why I still love stressing my players out. Oh the awesome excitement when everything stands on the edge of a knife blade and you have 5 people leaning forward as one person rattles the dice in their hand and hyperventilating lets them fly across the table....I love it. It almost always ends with whooping or wailing and that's what makes those epic moments they will remember for years.

Then there is the time my sister's character grabbed a staff from a room full of treasure and fell unconscious to the floor - the others checked to see she was alive and continued loading pockets albeit more cautiously. Then they realized the guardian had returned and they were trapped between a dragon and it's goodies. As they discussed tossing the unconscious player to the dragon like a steak at an angry dog so they could slip by my sister started berating them with "You guys SUCK!" In the end they didn't toss her but to this day she will glare at them when certain situations come up.

Anyway, enough of my prattle: WELCOME ABOARD!
    Thanks for the warm welcome, everybody.

And, Jaxilon, your story almost brings tears to my eyes. :-)