46. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes

41 89.13%
  • no

5 10.87%

Thread: Design a map for print

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Just be careful regarding 64 bit. I have been reading a lot of reports lately that a lot of software is failing compatibility testing with 64 bit Vista. Even Microsoft Office 2007 fails. Make sure to verify that your favorite software is compatible and will function correctly before making the leap. Also, do some research even if it seems to work. There have been a few reports that 32 bit apps running under 64 bit Windows are producing recursive registry entries and bloating the registry to gigabytes in size with well over millions of new entries of redundant data. I've verified only a couple of them so far, but it seems to behaving the way the reports say.

As a related side note to this derailment, Windows 7 is slated for release early next year or early 2010. LOL I love the M$ advertising machine.
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.

Blog Entries

Given I am running 64 bit, do you have some links to the list or can show what I might have to look out for. I have been running 64 bit for about 2 years now and I have to say its been excellent though I don't stoop so low as to use MS Office. In the beginning it was sometimes difficult to get drivers for some stuff and that is still true for old/out of date hardware but all new stuff seems fine.

Quote Originally Posted by RPMiller View Post
    Just be careful regarding 64 bit. I have been reading a lot of reports lately that a lot of software is failing compatibility testing with 64 bit Vista. Even Microsoft Office 2007 fails. Make sure to verify that your favorite software is compatible and will function correctly before making the leap. Also, do some research even if it seems to work. There have been a few reports that 32 bit apps running under 64 bit Windows are producing recursive registry entries and bloating the registry to gigabytes in size with well over millions of new entries of redundant data. I've verified only a couple of them so far, but it seems to behaving the way the reports say.
    Well... I got 64 bit specifically to be able to deal with larger image sizes in GIMP. I use my laptop at the gaming table and in Maptool, so as long as it works for that, I will be fine. I also play a few games here and there.. but it something does not work, I can always play on my older desktop (just 2 years old physically, but with first generation Athlon x2 chip (perhaps 3 years old??)

Quote Originally Posted by RPMiller View Post
    As a related side note to this derailment, Windows 7 is slated for release early next year or early 2010. LOL I love the M$ advertising machine.
    Unlike Apple? I would have gotten a Mac, but it still ****es me off that they are so damn far behind on java AND you have to upgrade OS's to get the latest java version to work. AND have to pay extra money on top of all that for near equal hardware...
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Post Regarding layers, sometimes I cheat...

When I say, Xara isn't a memory hog, I have to clarify, that some effects placed in layers upon layers, does get memory intensive. Often I cheat, by taking the most memory hogging layers, and export that portion as a transparent PNG (multiple layers selected), delete the actual layers then import the converted layers to place on the map.

Its smart to keep the pieces as a separate file, in case you need to go back and make some changes. Cheating is often a part of the creation process to make things work more smoothly.

GP
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Quote Originally Posted by Redrobes View Post
    Given I am running 64 bit, do you have some links to the list or can show what I might have to look out for. I have been running 64 bit for about 2 years now and I have to say its been excellent though I don't stoop so low as to use MS Office. In the beginning it was sometimes difficult to get drivers for some stuff and that is still true for old/out of date hardware but all new stuff seems fine.
    The best thing I can recommend is just Google it. There is honestly so much information I wouldn't know where to begin. I believe the latest reports came from WindowsSecrets.com. From there you should find some others reports and of course look at TechNet and the MS Knowledge Base as there are some articles in there about compatibility and such.

Quote Originally Posted by jfrazierjr View Post
    Unlike Apple? I would have gotten a Mac, but it still ****es me off that they are so damn far behind on java AND you have to upgrade OS's to get the latest java version to work. AND have to pay extra money on top of all that for near equal hardware...
    Oh, don't get me wrong, they aren't much better in many areas, but at least their release dates tend to be more accurate than MS's.

On a related topic, I am enjoying the heck out of the warring ads from both companies especially having the intimate knowledge I do. Has anyone gone to the website referenced in the "Mohave" ads from MS? It just shows what a farce that whole marketing angle is especially if you have used the various versions of Vista at the technical level. Of course the Mac ads are just as entertaining considering all the problems the iPhone has been having and as jfrazierjr pointed out all the stuff they don't tell you regarding how much you are going to pay in the long run if you want to keep up.
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.