Thread: The start of something big...

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Nice little landmass so far. I like the subdued colours and the overall feel of the piece.

So who when you say that the squares are 50 mi.˛. Do you mean each square is seven points something miles by seven points something miles? Or do you mean that each square is 50 miles x 50 miles? (Actually 2500 mi.˛) Looking at the map I think you mean the latter, because that would make your landmass about 850 miles across. This would seem more appropriate.

There would be huge amount of terrain variance in a 50 x 50 mile square. So anything you draw in their is only going to be a general feeling for what is in the space rather than getting to specific and detailed.

for instance in the city I live there it is an urban sprawl about 70 miles x 50 miles. Within that area there are lakes, suburbs, towns, forests, a bay, mountains, farmland, hills, about 100 rivers and creeks and so on.
    Last edited by Aval Penworth; 02-15-2011 at 10:21 PM.
    Hi ho, hi ho, it's off to work I go..

Quote Originally Posted by Aval Penworth View Post
    Nice little landmass so far. I like the subdued colours and the overall feel of the piece.

So who when you say that the squares are 50 mi.˛. Do you mean each square is seven points something miles by seven points something miles? Or do you mean that each square is 50 miles x 50 miles? (Actually 2500 mi.˛) Looking at the map I think you mean the latter, because that would make your landmass about 850 miles across. This would seem more appropriate.

There would be huge amount of terrain variance in a 50 x 50 mile square. So anything you draw in their is only going to be a general feeling for what is in the space rather than getting to specific and detailed.

for instance in the city I live there it is an urban sprawl about 70 miles x 50 miles. Within that area there are lakes, suburbs, towns, forests, a bay, mountains, farmland, hills, about 100 rivers and creeks and so on.

Hey there, and thanks for the response and comments!

Yeah, I'm pretty happy with the overall subdued look of it as well. I went through a variety of different color schemes (mostly derived from various tutorials on this site), but at the end of the day, I don't know... I'm a sucker for anything "old", and love muted, aged colors. So that's what I ultimately went with. Once I have the hand-drawn icons in place, I will be leaving symbols to represent less important features, but in hues that better match the overall scheme.

You're correct about the landmass, I'm thinking 50x50 miles per square. Also, your description of your local area there is a great "benchmark" for me to go by. In other words, you can fit a whole lot of land in a single square. Almost makes me wonder if it might even be feasible to go a bit smaller. Maybe as low as 25x25 might be sufficient for my needs. Will probably require some experimenting to see how things look as I start laying in more of the details.

Will be cool to see things coming together. Of course, I'll be sharing the work as it does .

Anyways... Thanks again!
    Last edited by Preypacer; 02-15-2011 at 10:40 PM.