Thread: Channels in Gimp (and photoshop) - what are they useful for?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

And don't forget you can split am image as HSV in addition to RGB. That will sometimes give better definition for selections (i.e light from dark, regardless of hue) with the magic want tool.

-Rob A>

Quote Originally Posted by palehorse View Post
    You'll find that the red channel contains most of the contrast, the green channel contains most of the detail, and the blue channel contains most of the noise. So if you've got a really noisy image, you can apply a filter like Despeckle or Dust and Scratches to just the noisy Blue channel instead of the whole image to clean it up, which'll keep you from losing detail, or sharpen your image by applying an Unsharp Mask to just the details of the green channel.

Channels are also really good for building complex selections instead of just saving them.
    Quote Originally Posted by RobA View Post
    And don't forget you can split am image as HSV in addition to RGB.
    These are awesome tips!!!!!! As soon as I can I'll rep you both. Oh how I wish I knew this stuff years ago...
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.

Quote Originally Posted by RobA View Post
    magic want tool.
    hehe! I like my own typos - I think we all have a magic want tool

-Rob A>

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

I agree. Those are the kind of tips that I just don't seem to find in tutorials. Thanks for those.