Thread: The Grenna Imperium

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Hi JT, huh, that's an interesting trick with the mountains. It certainly will save you some time. One thing I notice about the land clouds layer is that it seems a bit stretched along the horizontal axis. This may not be a big issue, but if you want to generate clouds that are not stretched, make sure that when you are rendering the clouds that you change the default X and Y size settings (in the Noise pop up window) to adjust for document sizes whose Height and lenght are different. For instance, since you have here a map whose length is greater than its height, you would need to increase the X size to compensate. Hope that helps. Oh, and thanks for the kind words on the tutorial, I'm glad you are finding it useful.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Wip

Quote Originally Posted by arsheesh View Post
    Hi JT, huh, that's an interesting trick with the mountains. It certainly will save you some time. One thing I notice about the land clouds layer is that it seems a bit stretched along the horizontal axis. This may not be a big issue, but if you want to generate clouds that are not stretched, make sure that when you are rendering the clouds that you change the default X and Y size settings (in the Noise pop up window) to adjust for document sizes whose Height and lenght are different. For instance, since you have here a map whose length is greater than its height, you would need to increase the X size to compensate. Hope that helps. Oh, and thanks for the kind words on the tutorial, I'm glad you are finding it useful.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh
    Thanks I figured it out while I was going blind looking for cool mountain patterns in the mountain cloud layer. (the concept is perfectly valid it just seemed "easier" for me to do it this way) There was a lot of "fiddling" with the color levels and the contrast but I'm pretty happy with the results after the sculpting step. One thing I did do was take arsheesh's advice and redo the "land clouds" layer I adjusted the "X" size and got a height map that wasn't quite so bunched up. After a pass through Wilbur (where I once again deviated from the tutorial by running a different "Incise Flow" pass and leaving off one of the "percentage noise" passes) I've started to color this. I used a variation of arsheesh's awesome gradients for the first color pass. In my head the Grenna Imperium sits more or less equally distant from the equator of it's home world meaning that there is just as much land mass above as below. There isn't any true "Arctic" geography although there will be some desert. This kingdom is mostly temperate with large forests It is the farthest North in the empire however so there is some "sub-arctic" geography at it's farthest Northern points. I'm getting to all of that. As always feedback is requested and appreciated.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	The Kingdom of Aetrina Stage 2.jpg 
Views:	142 
Size:	710.6 KB 
ID:	48781
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.