Thread: AD&D DMG Random Wilderness Terrain

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Actually the random terrain is logical for what it was intended to be.

But what was it intended to be? Certainly not a "Lets design a campaign area" (though I am sure some folks out there did

It was a: "Oh-NO! My players went somewhere I don;t have mapped! Damn them and this open concept game!"

So a DM could turn to a random terrain generator to 'whip up a couple of hexes of terrain' as a stop gap for the game.

At least, that was how I always looked at it
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Yeah, you're right. I was just curious about how well it would generalize.
    My random map generators and GIMP scripts: http://axiscity.hexamon.net/users/isomage/

Publisher Facebook Connected bartmoss's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NeonKnight View Post
    Actually the random terrain is logical for what it was intended to be.

But what was it intended to be? Certainly not a "Lets design a campaign area" (though I am sure some folks out there did

It was a: "Oh-NO! My players went somewhere I don;t have mapped! Damn them and this open concept game!"

So a DM could turn to a random terrain generator to 'whip up a couple of hexes of terrain' as a stop gap for the game.

At least, that was how I always looked at it
    Naturally I am aware of that.

It's still useless filler material - Roll-playing vs. Role-playing. If a GM can't simply make up their mind on what the terrain the next hex over is, he fails at game mastering. Of course the whole hex-based approach betrays the game's origin in tactics/strategy games, where the world presumably ends in a fiery death if a situation isn't covered by SOME sort of rule.