Thread: How to add a square grid as a layer?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by swiss View Post
    So I know how to add a basic square grid in Photoshop, but this is on top of every layer and is not its own layer. I have seen maps where the grid looks like it's its own layer, because the grid is more visible on the sea layer than the land layer, so I'm guessing they have a layer that is only a grid and then they can modify it from there like they modify every other map element. So how do you do that? The only thing I can think of is creating a new layer, getting out my line creation tool and literally just drawing a grid, but there has to be a more efficient way.

Here's an example of what I mean: https://www.deviantart.com/picantese...-Map-563638624

You'll see the grid is at least below the black coastline, so it must be a layer of some kind. It wouldn't be the standard 'add grid' in Photoshop
    I see this as a good solution. As you can save the PSD file with the grid only.
    You might have a grid of 30inchesx 30 (just made of editable lines - the one you make with the pen, as mentioned)

and move the whole grid in a PSD file of 5x5inches or so.

And save it.

You can move this grid to different maps in the time.
    IDK if it makes sense for you. It is a long work but it is a single time work you can keep in your sources.

This will keep the best quality a good flexibility as you can apply different strokes and also can be shrinked without loosing the sharpness.

In my opinion, it is something which needs to be done at least once. Or you will find your self redoing the grid everytime you have to change the scale or if your customer changes his/her mind.

OH YESH I forgot to mention that for LARGE canvas you can still copy/paste groups of lines easily this way. OR you can also extend the lenght.. this is Just an opinion however. Something I found much more useful than a pixel grid.
    Last edited by RenflowerGrapx; 01-23-2019 at 09:07 AM.