Thread: [CWBP2] Astrophysics

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Azelor View Post
    Hum, at 75 AU it's nearly 4 times the distance Sun-Uranus and the star is 40% less luminous or so. My guess is that the impact would be really small. My simulator showed less than 1 Celsius degree in temperature difference.

Do you play Dnd ? There is something called the plane of shadow and the etheral plane : SRDlane of Shadow - D&D Wiki
    the moon is in fact located in another plane of existence. Usually, it's not possible to see it but under certain circumstances it is.

This is the post that confuseded me
    Have you "liked" a post today?

Quote Originally Posted by Jalyha View Post
    This is the post that confuseded me
    What is confusing to you there? The star part or the moon part.

In any case I think that unless there are any objections, we should move forward with Azelor's star idea and my extra dimensional magic moon. Meaning we should work under the assumption they are part of the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Falconius View Post
    What is confusing to you there? The star part or the moon part.

In any case I think that unless there are any objections, we should move forward with Azelor's star idea and my extra dimensional magic moon. Meaning we should work under the assumption they are part of the world.
    I'm good with that unless someone is against these two ideas.

So the secondary star should be smaller, and more importantly less massive than the main star. At first I was going to put a orange dwarf (K star), but a white dwarf is also interesting. White dwarf are old stars that have ended the main sequence, which mean they have run out of hydrogen to fuse into helium... the star was a mid sized star ( around 0,5 and 10 solar masses). It runs out of fuel at around 1-5 billions years.. At the end of her life, the star had become really huge (not necessarily massive) and really bright. But eventually, the star begin to contract, and as it contract it emits gases and particles like some sort of nebula (which looks really cool). The star is really hot at that moment, as high as 150 000K on the surface but the inside it much hotter. The temperature cools off very fast and it slow down afterwards. The temperature of a white dwarf could be almost stable at around 5000-6000K (or maybe higher) for a very long time and the lifespan of a white dwarf is estimated at something like 10 0000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 years or more... anyway, a long time.

The main star is more recent. It would have formed either before or after the collapse of the old star. No matter how we put it, life would have not been possible on the planet prior to the collapse because the star was too bright. It mean that the collapse happened somewhere between 3-6 billion years ago.

The old star could be associated with : death, evil, shadow, magic or stuff like that since it's an old, dense, with a strong magnetic field, inhospitable place. She could have mystical/magical proprieties. The nebula thing is interesting, especially if the star have special proprieties because these particles would have spread to all surrounding planets. But after 3 billions years, the visual part of it would be long gone.

about the moon idea now: it's a secondary and smaller moon that does not appear all the time because she is in another dimension. A dimension more or less similar to ours that is superimposed. She usually on the other side but from time to time, she become visible. It's not clear if the moon is really there and what triggers that phenomenon. My guess is that the moon is not really there but it's possible to access it by flying right trough to it.
    Last edited by Azélor; 02-12-2014 at 08:58 PM.