Thread: Castle/Keep in Old School Blue

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Guild Journeyer

A point of rep, and something you missed. Your windows, they be backwards. defensive windows flair OUTWARD, unless this is suppose to be a jail that lets the guards randomly shoot people inside and keep those inside from having good angles to shoot out of.

Quote Originally Posted by Talroth View Post
    A point of rep, and something you missed. Your windows, they be backwards. defensive windows flair OUTWARD, unless this is suppose to be a jail that lets the guards randomly shoot people inside and keep those inside from having good angles to shoot out of.
    Thanks for the rep, Talroth. From everything I have seen and read, it is the opposite. The arrow slits, or loopholes as they were also called, flair inwards to give the archer room to move (thus to get a better angle of shot against attackers) and the narrow slot at the end gives a smaller target.

For example, Conway Castle:

Or the Tour du Coudray:

For the record, I meant the slits in the keep to represent small narrow windows and not arrow slits per se. That's why they are narrower and close together unlike the arrow slits on the towers. I also picture them being high up near the top of the wall to allow light and air movement but not easy access from outside (being on the 2nd floor helps in that regards also). With that said, I might change the keep's windows so they don't look so much like the arrow slits. I do plan on creating a Legend for the upper levels of the keep like I did for the dungeon level (once I have finialized the various symbols I am using - I still have to draw the Balistas for the top level).

Cheers,
    Tim
    Cheers,
    Tim

Paratime Design Cartography

"Do infants have as much fun in infancy as adults do in adultery?" - Groucho Marx