Thread: Making Fractal lines in GIMP

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by Karro View Post
    As I understand it, he is also trying to do a 3rd thing:

3. Create a single, non-looping randomized, fractal-style line to represent a river on the continent he's already created in FM.

I would think you could use the cloud filters for this purpose as well, though it might be more trouble than it's worth. You could probably adapt some of the techniques used in RobA's various GIMP tutorials to do this (there's one that he uses to create a very stark, randomized black line on a cloud filter that could probably be used, but I'm not sure how practical it would be). However, the learning curve to do so in GIMP might be sufficiently steep that it could be better to draw the rivers in by hand.
    Yeah, what this guy said. I guess I'm just going to have to do the rivers in Fractal Mapper.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cool as a Cucumber View Post
    Yeah, what this guy said. I guess I'm just going to have to do the rivers in Fractal Mapper.
    Ah rivers: http://www.cartographersguild.com/sh...inkscape+river

It's Inkscape rather than The GIMP but that might help.

Well if you are open to using illustrator you can do this:

1. You draw a form vaguely ressembling the shape of whatever you want
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ex1.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	36.0 KB 
ID:	55369

2. You select the part want (in this case it's the whole shape) and you go to filter→Distort→Zig Zag, then you set the intensity of the effect (generally you only need a small percentage).

Name:	ex2.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	11.7 KB 
ID:	55370
    This should give you an altered shape that is more like what you initially wanted

Name:	ex3.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	33.5 KB 
ID:	55371

3. You copy/past it in photoshop, there are many options you can choose depending on the result you want. I usually paste it as a path.
    Name:  ex4.jpg
Views: 557
Size:  6.8 KB

4. Then you fix the latest details and stroke the path. Here is an example of a map I made today for a game of D&D using this technique for the room 57-58-59.

Name:	passage de Tirara.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	488.0 KB 
ID:	55373

Guild Member Facebook Connected wisemoon's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I know I'm responding to an old thread, but in case anyone new checks this thread, I found a random fractal line generator online:
    FractalMaker_exp

you can generate lines with varying numbers of segments, change the coordinates of the segment ends (for example, I made a zig-zag line to represent a winding river), etc. When you have a line you like, you can export it as a BMP or JPG file. You could then import that line into GIMP or Photoshop to use as a river.

I haven't yet tried the Inkscape fractalized line method, but I figure this is a quick fix for those who want a reasonably randomized, fractal river but aren't too terribly OCD about the details.
    --wisemoon
    This and all other posts, including image or document files created by me that are linked in a post, are copyright Megan L. Wiseman, in the current year. Permission to use granted under the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial License unless otherwise stated in the post.
    Please visit my blog - cartography, popular culture, and my art/design journal. Here are my finished maps!