Thread: Maps for Printing - Tips?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Post Ah, my printer user 12 colors

For me, I prefer my clients sending me RGB files, as the software automatically converts that to the appropriate color format and depth. My large format printer uses 12 colors to print: Cyan, Magenta, Yellow, Black, Photo Cyan, Photo Magenta, Gray, Photo Gray, Medium Gray, Red, Blue, Green.

I can print up to 2880 x 2880 dpi.

CMYK conversion is usually too complicated for the average user to work with, I make the final decision and the print device accomodates.

GP
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Quote Originally Posted by Gamerprinter View Post
    For me, I prefer my clients sending me RGB files, as the software automatically converts that to the appropriate color format and depth. My large format printer uses 12 colors to print: Cyan, Magenta, Yellow, Black, Photo Cyan, Photo Magenta, Gray, Photo Gray, Medium Gray, Red, Blue, Green.

I can print up to 2880 x 2880 dpi.

CMYK conversion is usually too complicated for the average user to work with, I make the final decision and the print device accomodates.

GP
    Ah, that's really interesting to know. Forgive me, as I wasn't trying to step on any toes or anything. Once upon a time, I know Photoshop had a (probably pretty crude) function buried in a menu that would convert an RGB space to a CMYK space, and in the few times on the job (I work in video, and I used to use Photoshop daily for graphics) when I had to print something off for a client, that CMYK conversion yielded better results.

Like I said, I apologize if I was stepping out of line.

Post You're not out of line at all.

No problems at all. What I didn't say in my previous post is that I use Photoshop to do the CMYK conversion as well. However my printer also has a built-in CMYK converter, so if I send an RGB file to the printer, it automatically converts to CMYK. Printing is always CMYK.

My issue is that when I try to open an already converted CMYK file in Photoshop I have terrible problems getting color consistency. I would much rather receive RGB files and do the CMYK conversion myself.

Client's creating CMYK files usually fail. So only send me RGB. I will certainly only output CMYK, but in the method that works best for me.

Sorry for the misunderstanding.

GP
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations