Thread: World Map vs partial/continent map and coloration!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Guild Novice

@ascension: I like the way you think. However, I'm terrible with creating even general landscape. Even layouts for land vs water. LOL. So.. I'll probably just do something, in general on the computer.. print it out and put it on my wall and go from there. But, I will take your suggestion to leave most of it blank for future rp ideas.

@hai-etlik: Oh.... x.x Lines are confusing. I tried it on a map and I don't know. lol But they do make maps look more interesting.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Anannsul View Post
    @hai-etlik: Oh.... x.x Lines are confusing. I tried it on a map and I don't know. lol But they do make maps look more interesting.
    Well, if you stay away from them, you have a lot more freedom. Putting them on a map implies a degree of precision. If the map isn't meant to be to scale, then you can draw it as just a representative map, but then things like graticules, rhumb lines, compass roses, and scales become inappropriate.

If the world you are mapping is a typical pseudomedieval fantasy world, then precise maps aren't even all that appropriate. Modern maps are highly anachronistic for such settings. Medieval maps were exceedingly rare and so abstract as to be almost unrecognizable to modern eyes most of the time. The important thing to consider is their ability with marine navigation, modern style maps go hand in hand with long distance sailing. Hugging coastlines and island hopping don't require them. Medieval navigation was mostly a matter of written directions, asking along the way, or just memory.