View Poll Results: Would you like to see this suggestion as a challenge?

Voters
5. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I do!

4 80.00%
  • Yes, but I have some suggestions (please reply).

1 20.00%
  • Nay, go away!

0 0%

Thread: Map a Railway

Default Map a Railway

Challenge Suggestion: Map a Railway

I've noticed that there's a certain dearth of maps of railway routes and networks in our collections, or at least, there are very few maps that feature railways as the primary focus.
    This is terrible! Railways are a vital part of infrastructure. We've had shipping routes, roads, hyperspace highways and all other sorts, but, alas! Where are the railways?
    Okay, that was a slight exaggeration.

Suggestion: Participants map a fictional* railway route or network. Like our river challenge, make any kind of map you want, from futuristic to post-apocalyptic, from steampunk-themed to underground, from regional to pan-continental; but the focus must be upon the railway(s).
    (*This would be entirely up to debate, but I'd think that more creativity would be shown if we took inspiration from existing railways, rather than their actual routes.)

Cheers!
    - Corilliant

This would be interesting, a railroad map for a region or even a continent. This would be really fun, but the thing for me is that it would have to be a corporate map. As far as I am aware, railroads are divided by corporations and would not show the full rail line unless owned by them. But I could be wrong though.

Great idea though!

I like the idea if it can be expanded to mapping the transport system (any part of it) and not just the railway.

Quote Originally Posted by Nori View Post
    This would be interesting, a railroad map for a region or even a continent. This would be really fun, but the thing for me is that it would have to be a corporate map. As far as I am aware, railroads are divided by corporations and would not show the full rail line unless owned by them. But I could be wrong though.
    I'm sure that with we could make maps that are impartial and cover all railways if we so wished (you could avoid this by doing a single line); this challenge suggestion is open to interpretation as long as the railway system is central to the theme.

Quote Originally Posted by Azelor View Post
    I like the idea if it can be expanded to mapping the transport system (any part of it) and not just the railway.
    I feel that if we were to do that, it'd look like any standard atlas; the aim of this challenge would be to make it more difficult and focus it on a specific type of transport system, like how the river challenge was to focus on a land feature. Otherwise, it's not unique.

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Corilliant View Post
    I feel that if we were to do that, it'd look like any standard atlas; the aim of this challenge would be to make it more difficult and focus it on a specific type of transport system, like how the river challenge was to focus on a land feature. Otherwise, it's not unique.
    If we were to do this challenge, I'd agree with you. The whole point of a challenge is to make it challenging.

One interesting idea though would be a map Post Apocalyptic of trade routes between a new state or governing body or even a confederacy. Trade routes in PAs are always ignored in gameplay but always mentioned by so many characters.

If we did do this one I actually have something in mind from a short story I wrote ages ago!
    My new Deviant-thing. I finally caved.