Thread: Gemini Ascendant Star System Map [WIP]

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by Trixer View Post
    With no offense intended I have to disagree with some of what your saying. Baring any crazy moving to a new demision for FTL then there would still need to be "routes" unlike in the ocean, you have to worry about large rocks, planets, and other drifting matter that would rip your ship to pieces if you were going at any rate of speed to get anywhere in the galaxy fast enough.

I feel that advanced computer systems and scanning systems would need to be in place to adjust accordingly based on what could be infront of you, also a central map system your ship would link up to, to help calculate a good trejectory would be also needed.

Just my FYI here, im a scifi techy nut dude... so yeah...
    Ah, but in the ocean you do have to worry about "drifting matter," though perhaps not to the same extent that you would in space. Just look at the Titanic. More to the point, however, and possibly still applicable in relation to FTL would be tides and channels. Bringing something similar into an FTL environment might be just the thing to give it a unique flavor. In terms of FTL, however, I would think that tides and channels might be replaced with solar winds/flares and gravity wells. Along with all that drifting matter, of course.

GW
    GW

One's worth is not measured by stature, alone. By heart and honor is One's true value weighed.

Current Non-challenge WIP : Beyond Sosnasib
    Current Lite Challenge WIP : None
    Current Main Challenge WIP : None
    Completed Maps : Various Challenges

Quote Originally Posted by Greason Wolfe View Post
    In terms of FTL, however, I would think that tides and channels might be replaced with solar winds/flares and gravity wells.
    For my Logres Cluster world I invented the idea of "causal channels." The basic idea is that the universe simply will not allow temporal loops. Thus, while FTL travel is possible, you can get some really strange effects to be sure that cause & effect always comes out properly.

The effect of this is to create routes where travel is most effective. Venturing off mapped routes can be highly effective, but can also slow you down.
    http://www.monticello21st.com/rpg/nfwiki/
    Call the Lightning. Ride the Storm. Find your Power. Become Reborn.
    Seek your Place, and know it well. Live a tale you wish to tell.