Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Eino, My First Map

Wip

I've now finished with the labels, finally! I have a list of labels and names in both English and Eindo, the Eindo labels using both the Latin and Eindo alphabets. This image has the English labels. I haven't begun with the Eindo labels, yet, but now that I actually have all of the places and features named, it'll be much faster.

I've also added the roads, cities, and towns, and I fixed the mountains, at least partially. Let me know if you think I did enough with them or if they still need even more work.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Eino Old Map.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	1.53 MB 
ID:	27414  
    Žentaňwes lekjetkom nen řiniŧom.

My WIP
    My DeviantArt

Just a possible River Violation...
    Um, where does Lazhdo Lake get its water from?

Otherwise, it's looking like a good use of a few of the different hand-drawn tutorials. On the rivers, maybe just gently blur them (1 or 2 px) just to smooth them out a little. Or duplicate them, blur it by 2px, set the opacity down around 60% and merge it down over the rivers.
    "Sacrificing minions... is there any problem it cannot solve?" - Order of the Stick

Some of the books I have written, or am still writing...
    My Lulu Store

Hmmm, would it be ridiculous to suggest a subterranean river originating in the White Mountains? Otherwise, I was assuming that, considering how large this country is and how few rivers there are, that there are a number of smaller rivers, creeks, etc. which are not shown, the map instead only showing major rivers.

My WIP
    My DeviantArt

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

That's plausible (small creeks) as is endorheic basin.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Well, when I was looking up various lake-types in order to answer the question, I saw the endorheic basins, but I believe that usually happens in desert areas, not in the middle of a plains near the edge of a dense forest. I could be wrong, though.

My WIP
    My DeviantArt

"Forests's Edge" has an excess "s".
    The mountains remind me a little of strawberries sometimes, but that could just be my stomach talking. I think you can be happy with them.

Wip

Ah, good catch on that extra "s"! I probably would not have caught that! And sorry, I don't quite see the strawberries unless I use my imagination...

I've fixed that extra "s" and made the labels in Eindo using both Latin and Eindo characters.

It should be noted that the scale on the maps labeled using the Eindo language is different than the scale on the map labeled in English. This is because the Eindo numerical system is duodecimal (base 12) rather than decimal (base 10). That means two things. First, when a number is shown as "10" in base 12, it actually refers to "12" in base 10. Continuing that, "20" would equal 24, "30" would equal 36, "100" would equal 144, and "1,000" would equal 1,728. This brings me to the second difference. Similarly to the word "mile," which is derived from the Latin word for 1,000, referring to the distance one would travel after taking 1,000 paces, the Eindo word for "mile" is derived from the Eindo word for "1,000," which is actually 1,728 in base 10, which is much further. These two facts, that the Eino mile is much longer than a standard mile and that the scale is labeled in a way that "10" refers to 12, not 10, means that while on the English map 50 pixels equaled 20 miles, now 49 (technically 49.0909090909... but who's counting?) equals "10" miles. That is the reason for the differences in the scale.

I hope that made sense. Probably not, but I'm not quite sure how to explain it any better.

Also, might anyone be able to tell me why the site won't display a thumbnail of the third one? It shows it if you view it maximum size, but it won't show it as a thumbnail.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Eino Old Map.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	1.92 MB 
ID:	27525   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Eino Old Map Eindo.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	1.83 MB 
ID:	27526   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Eino Old Map Eindo Runes.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	1.83 MB 
ID:	27527  

My WIP
    My DeviantArt

There are issues with the thumbnailer (is that a word?) since the last forum upgrade. Other than it being a known issue, I can't tell you what the status is on getting it fixed. Just letting you know it isn't anything you've done wrong.

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

Bravo on the guts (and work) to incorporate base12 I've been toying with the idea of base8 for my world, but usually come to the conclusion that it's too much work looking good, I'll have to take a closer look on the real screen tonight.

That is looking great. I really love the texture of your map, zoomed in it's got a really nice feel.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast