Thread: I Love Maps

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Blog Entries

Welcome. If your after a simple stockaded fort then thats a style thats prevalent in my area of the CWBP - community world building project. The CWBP is our little world where we all map bits of it for no real reason but for the heck of it. I have tile 7 Thrubmorten and theres a few stockaded forts in that thread. Also theres a stockaded village kind of thing called Hardy Point. I reckon that would do you.

Quote Originally Posted by Redrobes View Post
    Welcome. If your after a simple stockaded fort then thats a style thats prevalent in my area of the CWBP - community world building project. The CWBP is our little world where we all map bits of it for no real reason but for the heck of it. I have tile 7 Thrubmorten and theres a few stockaded forts in that thread. Also theres a stockaded village kind of thing called Hardy Point. I reckon that would do you.
    Hi Redrobes! Somehow I missed this post of yours. Thank you very much for it. I'll look around for CWBP. Thanks!

Not quite sure what spacio-mechanical skills are, CB, but I'm guessing that maybe like me, you have a 'white noise generator' in your arm, scrambling signals and preventing your hand from drawing what's in your brain?

If so, it sounds like you would find a tile-mapper useful. Check out Viewingdale, Dundjinni and Dungeonforge (the ones I'm familiar with - there are others). You just place pre-drawn, pre-scaled objects on a grid, adjusting the layout until you get something you like. The objects are generally designed by someone else who knows what components are needed and you just add them from a menu. If you want somwething more artistic, you could use the finished tile map as a template for drawing a more freestyle map.

Tilemappers are particularly good for rectangular forts and castles.
    Mapping a Traveller ATU.

See my (fantasy-based) apprenticeship blog at:

http://www.viewing.ltd.uk/cgi-bin/vi...forums&sx=1024

Look for Chit Chat, Sandmann's blog. Enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by icosahedron View Post
    Not quite sure what spacio-mechanical skills are, CB, but I'm guessing that maybe like me, you have a 'white noise generator' in your arm, scrambling signals and preventing your hand from drawing what's in your brain?

If so, it sounds like you would find a tile-mapper useful. Check out Viewingdale, Dundjinni and Dungeonforge (the ones I'm familiar with - there are others). You just place pre-drawn, pre-scaled objects on a grid, adjusting the layout until you get something you like. The objects are generally designed by someone else who knows what components are needed and you just add them from a menu. If you want somwething more artistic, you could use the finished tile map as a template for drawing a more freestyle map.

Tilemappers are particularly good for rectangular forts and castles.
    Hi icosahedron! It's good to see you rolling around here. Thanks for the suggestions. I have more trouble than just drawing. I don't do well visualizing spacial relationships or mechanical processes. It's true that I have trouble drawing something that I see or visualize. When I was a kid my father, who was mechanical engineer, tried to teach me to draw by starting with someone that had relatively simple lines, and it was a struggle. So I do have that problem. I used to draw a person by making a circle for the head, a long rectangle for the neck, a larger circle for the body, and two long triangles splayed out at an angle from the lower circle for the legs. My mother once asked me where the arms were, and I said that they were down at the sides. I sometimes amuse my D&D players by drawing one of those "people" again on the battle mat.

I also though have trouble concretely visualizing how something physical of my own creation looks in the first place.

I was thinking that I might upload a map or two from my campaign world to show people what my drawing actually looks like. Is there a particular forum here for that? Thanks!

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CelestialBarbarian View Post
    I was thinking that I might upload a map or two from my campaign world to show people what my drawing actually looks like. Is there a particular forum here for that? Thanks!
    If they are considered finished, you can upload them to the 'Finished Maps' forum. If you are still working/tweaking them then they can be uploaded to one of the various WIP forums.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Quote Originally Posted by Steel General View Post
    If they are considered finished, you can upload them to the 'Finished Maps' forum. If you are still working/tweaking them then they can be uploaded to one of the various WIP forums.
    Thanks General! I haven't mapped out the whole world, but I have large segments finished. I've drawn it in pieces over the last 30 years.