Thread: [dominions 3] hexagon map reworked to look more medieval

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I worked again on this map, but this time to try o more "realistic" style on it..
    i was inspired a lot by some of the very good tutorials i found here
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	isleofthrones_re&.jpg 
Views:	1079 
Size:	658.5 KB 
ID:	23620  

Guild Journeyer

Quote Originally Posted by linlin View Post
    I worked again on this map, but this time to try o more "realistic" style on it..
    i was inspired a lot by some of the very good tutorials i found here
    It looks very nice.

This is a physical board game right?
    If people are going to play on this without squinting or making stupid mistakes, i think you'll need to make the boundary lines more visible. It's kinda difficult to see how all the spaces fit together-- though since i don't know the rules, i don't know how important that might be.

I don't know if the province? names are important, but if so, they too should probably be enlarged and emphasized.

The roads and and bridges should be made to stand out a more if they are important to gameplay.

You have cities marked in several ways, small stars in circles, and larger blue and red filled circles. Stars generally indicate more important locations, but you've also made them small and numerous which generally indicates less importance. Unless there's a reason for this, it would be better to go with standard usage, and use the stars for the rarer-more important things.

These are all graphic-design issues. From a purely artistic standpoint, it is very nice, but it's not yet as useable as it could be.

thank you for your feedback!

in fact it's not a physical boardgame, it's a computer fantasy wargame developped by a small independant company. but it includes a map editor and you can put your own TGA files into the engine, so you can make your own boards to play..

for the provinces names, its not really a problem becaue you zoom out and in a lot with the mouse wheel.. For the borders, i think you are right after a few playtests, it can be more readable if you can have a clear view of them even in zoom out..

for the markers, you're right too, maybe i will try to include a "legend" so people know what is what.. the stars ones represent magical sites, where your wizards/alchimist/... have more chance to find gems for magical study

i will try to work around these problems, thank you for your point of view!

Guild Journeyer

Quote Originally Posted by linlin View Post
    thank you for your feedback!

in fact it's not a physical boardgame, it's a computer fantasy wargame developped by a small independant company. but it includes a map editor and you can put your own TGA files into the engine, so you can make your own boards to play..
    you're welcome.

Actually i'm familiar with that game (at least from the demoes). I didn't make the connection at first because of the hexes.

A legend of course would be good. For the magical sites, you might want to try an upside-down 5-pointed star, or maybe a 8 or 9 pointed star, since normal 5 pointed stars are traditionally used for capitols.