Thread: [WIP] Lurra World Map

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

There we go, took a bit of looking but i found it, ironically enough, found it through the cartographers guild group on DA

Continent outlines made by :
    http://calthyechild.deviantart.com/#/d49xu2j

(btw, beyond all the legal nonsense, i would attribute whoever did the work just because its ethical, i just figured since it was a WiP i didn't need to have all that together ,but i'm new to all this so i figure you would know much better then i do)

oh, and although im probably going to re-make the continents , does anyone have any tips as far as making an elevation/height map?
    Last edited by BlueMoon; 10-31-2011 at 12:04 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BlueMoon View Post
    (btw, beyond all the legal nonsense, i would attribute whoever did the work just because its ethical, i just figured since it was a WiP i didn't need to have all that together ,but i'm new to all this so i figure you would know much better then i do)
    It's important as soon as you try to distribute it. Posting it on a public website certainly counts, whether or not you consider the work finished.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueMoon View Post
    oh, and although im probably going to re-make the continents , does anyone have any tips as far as making an elevation/height map?
    Building a decent DEM from scratch is a lot of work. Unless you are planning to do a map with some form of detailed relief symbolization (Contours, hillshading, etc), you don't really need it.

My advice would be to plot out ridges, starting with mountains, and then working down to significant hills, or just shallow rises that extend over large areas. Then place your rivers accordingly. You don't need a complete surface, just the idea that rivers generally flow away from ridges. (With a few exceptions where they are surrounded and must go through one ridge or another, usually resulting in a lake or a canyon.)

Also continents tend to have mountains along their edges, not as spines running along their middles.