Thread: Map with contour lines

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Blog Entries

Yes its important to know whether you have the heightmap data or whether you just have this as a 2D map you got from somewhere. If the 2D map is of high res and has the lines in it clean then there are techniques to get at the contour lines and get them into inkscape as vectors. My advice tho is to look at starting your map with the height data before you start coloring it. If its a real world map then you can use existing real world height maps generated from various sources such as the space shuttle radar to get a height map. That data is free and there are loads of tools you can use to extract it.

Quote Originally Posted by Redrobes View Post
    Yes its important to know whether you have the heightmap data or whether you just have this as a 2D map you got from somewhere. If the 2D map is of high res and has the lines in it clean then there are techniques to get at the contour lines and get them into inkscape as vectors. My advice tho is to look at starting your map with the height data before you start coloring it. If its a real world map then you can use existing real world height maps generated from various sources such as the space shuttle radar to get a height map. That data is free and there are loads of tools you can use to extract it.
    Unfortunately it is not a real world map, just a fantasy map for my own purposes - would just drawing the contour lines in and shading
    each area provide somewhat acceptable results?