Sure no problem

I had a game a long time ago, called "Othello". On the box, the game claimed it takes "A minute to learn, a lifetime to master!"

I think mapping is like that. Most people know more of the basics than they think. You have the map, you have a scale, and you have labels. All the rest... each of those subjects takes a long time to learn. You could learn the basics of many of them in very little time... but that wouldn't make a dent!

It's like the book they government here puts out with a list of every single possible job title... and a tiny bit of info on each... the thing is bigger than 6 metro-area phone books! with teeny tiny writing.

And that's with great detail like, "A COMPASS tells you which direction is north."

Cartography is a skill/occupation like any other... it does take years to learn. I'm sure someone could put out a "Cartography for beginners" type of book/summary, (if they haven't already) and it would be way too long for any forum topic, and still barely scratch the surface.

Fortunately, the later threads in the link GP gave DO seem to have discussions on different elements... You could probably learn a lot just from reading the topic titles.

Well, best of luck!