Thread: Laminating a map for 'dry erase' purposes....

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond View Post
    I've sung the praises of these guys before: http://www.bannersonthecheap.com/
    One word of warning: make sure the file your're using is very high quality, like over 350-400 pixels per inch, otherwise, the print can look grainy and pixellated.
    I hate to burst your bubble - but they ONLY print at 150dpi. These are the people I used to print the map for my friend. I had it at 600dpi and it came all grainy. So I talked with them about it and they said "We only print at 150dpi which is fine for standard banners". I DO recommend them for first draft or if you don't mind 150dpi output. They are very fast in the turn-around time. But there are a lot of other places that will print at a higher dpi. I found one place that did cloth. Unfortunately, I forget the company's name. But they also do scarfs and that is what I used to print a game board on. In this way the board could be folded and put into a really small box. I loved to see people's faces when this little tiny box produced a 3'x3' board. They were always going "Wow!" For my game pieces I used floor tile as the backing. The problem with cheap floor tile is that the glue will turn to water in high humidity. It really made me appreciate those Ultraviolet printers. A good UV printer can print onto any surface and the ink won't come back off. HOWEVER - If the surface is flexible - it will crack and peel. (I mean like a rubber ball.)

A UV printer and a laser cutter printer are the two things you need in order to produce a lot of things. So far - I only have the laser cutter. Still saving for the UV printer.
    Unless otherwise stated, all my works are protected under CC BY-NC-ND.
    Photo Album : http://www.cartographersguild.com/album.php?u=88001

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by markem View Post
    I hate to burst your bubble - but they ONLY print at 150dpi.
    Hmm, that's unfortunate. I've had two maps printed by them and the detail is very, very good (both were 400PPI uploads), so I've had no complaints.

Default 150 or 400?

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond View Post
    Hmm, that's unfortunate. I've had two maps printed by them and the detail is very, very good (both were 400PPI uploads), so I've had no complaints.
    That is really weird because when the map came back grainy I called and talked to the manager. He was the one who said they were printing at 150dpi only. Maybe they decided to change? When did you get your map? Mine was about three or four years ago.
    Unless otherwise stated, all my works are protected under CC BY-NC-ND.
    Photo Album : http://www.cartographersguild.com/album.php?u=88001