Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: March/April 2015 Lite Challenge Entry: Darrowholm

I think you're underestimating yourself. This is looking wonderful! Now you need to teach me how to use Inkscape.

-IG

Oh, and I should give a shout out to Meshon for giving me the idea for cobbles. He has a fantastic tutorial about how to create a cobblestone effect, which I didn't actually use, as will be evident LMAO! He gave me the idea though, so kudos to him for that, and Meshon, I'm sorry for making an arse of your wonderful instructions!
    Last edited by ChickPea; 03-29-2015 at 09:45 AM.

Aw thanks, Inustrygothica! That's nice of you.

If you're serious about learning Inkscape, the best place to start is by watching a few of these videos:

http://screencasters.heathenx.org/

I used to watch the odd one while I ate my dinner and it's amazing how many tips you can soak up over a lasagne!

Banned User

Looking really nice...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by industrygothica View Post
    I think you're underestimating yourself. This is looking wonderful!
    Hey ChickPea, i can only agree with industygothica! Regarding the cobblestones: I dunno how they were meant to be, but they look fantastic. I also really like your houses... beautiful roofs!

I like that your houses are standard shapes. In a small remote village, people are going to build the easiest way they can and that does not include bizarre polygon shapes. This is more believable.

Thanks everyone for your kind words. I look at some of the work posted around here sometimes and my confidence flat-lines, and it can be discouraging. You've got to keep plugging away though and little competitions like this are fun and educational.

Quote Originally Posted by Abu Lafia View Post
    Regarding the cobblestones: I dunno how they were meant to be, but they look fantastic. I also really like your houses... beautiful roofs!
    Abu, this was the tutorial Meshon created and which I glanced through then promptly ignored! His cobbles are utterly amazing. Mine are, um, different!!

http://www.cartographersguild.com/sh...ad.php?t=23161

Quote Originally Posted by Bogie View Post
    I like that your houses are standard shapes. In a small remote village, people are going to build the easiest way they can and that does not include bizarre polygon shapes. This is more believable.
    Yeah, I've seen that a lot on city maps and I can understand it when space is at a premium, but it didn't make sense to me to try that here. And it didn't hurt that standard rectangular roofs are so much easier to create!

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Meshon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ChickPea View Post
    Oh, and I should give a shout out to Meshon for giving me the idea for cobbles. He has a fantastic tutorial about how to create a cobblestone effect, which I didn't actually use, as will be evident LMAO! He gave me the idea though, so kudos to him for that, and Meshon, I'm sorry for making an arse of your wonderful instructions!
    Haha, you're very kind. The cobblestone texture you're using here absolutely works well for going in different directions. These streets look great!

Also... it's a very clean town You could try stroking the edge of the streets with a bit of something, and add some speckles around the very well-done houses... but you could also leave it as it is. It looks grand.

cheers,
    Meshon
    Last edited by Meshon; 03-29-2015 at 02:21 PM. Reason: Removing gaffe...

I think I'd like to at least add some rocks or stones or something at the side of some parts of the road, and I'll take a look at that when everything else is done. There probably should be a little debris, or least one horrible family who live in a hovel LOL! I'll think about it.

Nice job and don't fret what others are doing. I still go back and shake my head at the first maps I did here for challenges but I kept at it and I learned something every single time. I'm petty sure I've gotten a lot better along the way. I got some good advice along the way as well.

So a couple things to think about: The sharp split in the Y of the river would probably be eroded down some, your rivers are perfectly sliced into your terrain. The trees kind of have that 3/4 view but the houses are straight on top down. I think the trees are cute and they give me a craving for a bowl of peas. I love peas Did I mention how cute they are? So cute.

Now all that said your map has a certain kind of style that is nice so if you are aiming for that by all means ignore me and just keep drawing. I remember feeling that almost crushing despair when comparing my work to some of the others but if you don't give up you can become the one striking fear into your fellow Cartographers.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast