Thread: How to create temperature gradient E-W rather than N-S?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Do you care if the world as mapped is all there is? You could get the straight lat/Lon on the inside of a ring world, only a reasonable e-w would be manymany times the n-s dimension.
    I recall trying hard to determine whether this map was the entire world. At first, I couldn't tell the scale, because many things about terrain are fractal. But the climate variation suggested a large-scale map. And, in retrospect, the size of mountain ranges. It's entirely possible the polar regions were truncated, as on many Mercator maps.
    An artificial world doesn't fit the setting/style I had in mind.
    A world with a 90 degree inclination would have some interesting day/night/season patterns.
    I've never spent a lot of time thinking about this, but...
    As I see it, a world with a high inclination would indeed have extreme seasons. However, it would still have one pole toward the sun at one time and the other at another time. I don't see why it would have a large difference from one hemisphere to another.
    Elevation and latitude would be some key points to consider. For instance, the many countries of the western hemisphere are mainly near the equator and nowhere on any of them are there mountains higher than 5,000 feet. .... There's little land north or south of the tropics
    Problem with those ideas: This world was something like 90% land. The specific feature I'm trying to replicate is the east being much colder than the west at the same latitude.
    I hadn't really thought about using altitude to change climate.
    Last edited by Triplicate; 11-29-2012 at 10:18 AM.