Thread: Westport: The Old Harbor WIP (Final Pass)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Guild Expert Facebook Connected Meshon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Scarce View Post
    Thanks so much for your kind words. The occasional straightness of some back alleys was an intentional decision that I thought would help emphasize the sprawling randomness of the city streets by giving it places where it's more orderly, perhaps indicative of a very new or very old row of buildings, which clashes with the surroundings. Do you think my next map could benefit from fewer orderly streets?
    Nope, you did it on purpose, that's good enough for me. I just think of back alleys as being dodgier than the front streets, but it's a valid design decision.

As to the line width: I use Photoshop so this may not work the same in GIMP, but you could try selecting the colour that is the interior of the buildings and then expand that selection by about 1/4 of your line width. Then fill with white and see how it looks. If that explanation isn't working I can try to do it better, just ask. I'm just short on time right now but will have more later!

cheers,
    Meshon

Guild Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by Meshon View Post
    you could try selecting the colour that is the interior of the buildings and then expand that selection by about 1/4 of your line width. Then fill with white and see how it looks.
    I think I can see how this might be done with my current layer setup. I'll post results when I try it out.

EDIT: I've implemented the thinner lines on the buildings (though I'm not sure that this method yielded the best results) and I've thrown textures on my water and grass layers.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Westport - The Old Harbor 2.png 
Views:	134 
Size:	4.63 MB 
ID:	63506

But, ya know, I'm not sure the textures make it seem objectively better. What do you guys think?
    Last edited by Scarce; 04-26-2014 at 05:42 AM.

Guild Journeyer

Looks great

Guild Novice

I like the changes. The building lines aren't as bold and as a result not as 'distracting'.