Thread: WIP Unnamed Map

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Guild Apprentice

I personally work on the bigger end of the scale spectrum, and I think it opens doors to fill those blank spots with cities, emblems, roads, and swanky info. You might be able to put a few more rivers and lakes, especially towards the center of your leftmost continent. Now is also a great time to think about where to put in you fantastical map locations (if any) for a fantasy world. Are there any floating islands? Immense chasms? Ancient civilization landmarks? Those might be able to fill your space just fine.

Guild Member

Quote Originally Posted by groovey View Post
    That said, what I personally could tell you, based mostly on visuals, is that it looks really cool to me. I wish I knew how to do the terrain like that. Did you use any tutorial as a guideline or you did it experimenting on your own?

Perhaps the only thing I can think of is that if the scale of the land masses is very big, perhaps the terrain would need more variety to show climatic differences. I mean, if the big one it's supposed to be as big has the whole north America, and depending on the latitude, there wouldn't be so much intense vegetation everywhere and such, but if the scale it's not too big then homogeneous dense vegetation would make more sense.
    Thanks a lot for replying! I didn't use any tutorials on the land masses, if by that you mean the shape of the continents. I just start with a very large brush and make blobs, then use an eraser that's about 3 pixels wide to go along the borders of the blobs. The end result is the land mass you see here. It's tedious but I don't really know any other way to do it.

As for your suggestion, you're probably right. It is supposed to be a very large land mass, so putting in smaller, more varied climatic differences would be the way to go to give it a natural look. I will definitely go in that direction now, and post results when they are ready. Thanks!

EDIT: I saved some .png shots of the first stages that show how I did it. It makes it look really simple (which I guess it is). Took a long time to go from the first picture to the second one though, let me tell you.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LD4w7Yg.png 
Views:	138 
Size:	612.4 KB 
ID:	65192
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	vMTBFs9.png 
Views:	145 
Size:	887.8 KB 
ID:	65193

Quote Originally Posted by Scarce View Post
    I personally work on the bigger end of the scale spectrum, and I think it opens doors to fill those blank spots with cities, emblems, roads, and swanky info. You might be able to put a few more rivers and lakes, especially towards the center of your leftmost continent. Now is also a great time to think about where to put in you fantastical map locations (if any) for a fantasy world. Are there any floating islands? Immense chasms? Ancient civilization landmarks? Those might be able to fill your space just fine.
    There won't be any floating islands, but chasms and landmarks are definitely good ideas. I've never really made detailed maps before, they've always been very basic. But those are good ideas that I will definitely try. Since posting that most recent WIP screenshot, I have added some more rivers and lakes and it most definitely helped. Struggling on ideas for emblems, though. I wish I had a tablet or at least a scanner so I could implement some hand drawn doodles. In any case, many thanks for your input!
    Last edited by RazielKilsenhoek; 06-24-2014 at 05:04 PM.

Guild Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by RazielKilsenhoek View Post
    Struggling on ideas for emblems, though.
    Will this help? It's a sticky on the mapping elements forum.
    Last edited by Scarce; 06-26-2014 at 03:26 AM. Reason: grammar