Thread: [Award Winner] Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP(and PS)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Whoah dude, this is awesome. Ive always wondered how to use layer masks, and so hopefully Ill be able to now (well, after I actually read it. Right now I just skimmed cause Im tired and off to bed)

5 stars!
    "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in a rather scornful tone," it means just what I choose it to mean -- neither more nor less."
    "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many things."

"The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master -- that's all."

-Lewis Carrol: Through the Looking Glass

Quote Originally Posted by bryguy View Post
    Whoah dude, this is awesome. Ive always wondered how to use layer masks, and so hopefully Ill be able to now (well, after I actually read it. Right now I just skimmed cause Im tired and off to bed)
    Thanks, that's exactly why I wrote it, for people who have so far been intimidated or just have not taken the time to learn how layer masks work. I hope this really helps you, and remember, ask questions if you need to. One thing I have found that this technique is really good for is blending various types of photo realistic texture fills. Check out my Some Creek thing for a very simple example. http://www.cartographersguild.com/sh...ighlight=creek
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Guild Apprentice

This is good, thank you.

Hmmm... I am kind of surprised with the lack of response on this. Is this because people already know this information, no one is looking at this(in which case, I can understand the lack of answering!), it's non understandable yet or you don't see any application in your mapping technique, or is everyone just using PS and don't think this applies to you? (it does, but in a slightly different way).
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.