Thread: Lauralie Summerhome

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Ghalev -

You are reading the scale correctly. The campaign takes place almost entirely within the confines of the city and undercity, so they planned for something that would give them lots of leeway for expansion. In fact, most of the action is supposed to be confined to the 14th Ward (the northwest section with most of the landmarks mapped).

The city planners are a couple of very creative guys I've known since Jr High School. If you're interested in the origin of 'The Dammit Wall' (or any other part of the city or world) you should check out their Wiki ( http://lauraliesummerhomecampaign.wikispaces.com/) or the ENWorld game threads. There's some really cool stuff there.

Thanks for the feedback! It's good to know I didn't just miss something simple with my scale difficulties. Leif and Scotley originally had something more the size of Chicago (with all of it's suburbs!) in mind but that was a little too bad-ass even for them!
    Craig's Cartography
    Campaign Cartographer 3 User

Quote Originally Posted by Mowgli View Post
    Thanks for the feedback! It's good to know I didn't just miss something simple with my scale difficulties.
    No indeed, but you can take some encouragement from the possibilities of an unusual mapping challenge

If you're feeling industrious after you're 100% satisfied with the main map, it might be fun to zoom in and do a closeup of just the 14th Ward ... which, if I read the background info correctly, would (by itself) be the size of a more ordinary [large] fantasy city, and suitable for street-to-street mapping (running the math quickly, I see that the 16th ward, across the water, is about the same size as Ptolus, a recently-published fantasy city ... so if the 14th Ward is somewhere in the same size-range, that'd be just about right for a big, busy street map you could sink your teeth into).

[Re-reading your own post, I see that the 14th Ward is much larger than the 16th ... so maybe just zoom in on a critical portion of the 14th ...]
    Last edited by Ghalev; 07-14-2008 at 04:36 AM.

S. John Ross Ghalev
    Who Dat? Games Fonts Uresia