Thread: Roleplaying in the CWBP.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Blog Entries

Back from being away for a bit... I have never used Twitter as really I cant see the point of letting people know exactly whether your eating a single patty or double patty whopper and whether you super sized it etc. It all seems like a pointless bit of tech unless your life is brim filled with interesting stuff like some pop star. Still, as far as I can tell you can get your tweets via email, mobile and on a web page and you can also send them with a diverse set of stuff inc mobile devices too. So if your on email then it seems to me (unless I am mistaken) that you can get a twitter account, do nothing with it but sign up for interest in the party log and then all the party updates come through via email. I could email them directly but it allows other lurkers to hitch a ride if they so wish. Its basically solving the broadcast issues for us. If someone doesn't get email at work but does have a mobile then they can be in on it.

The Wiki is very simple. In fact the CWBP is run off a Wiki and IG is main gate keeper to it. Its like making up a web page but instead of all the finicky html coding, all of that is dispensed with and there are a few much simpler codes to remember, most of which you don't even need. So having a simple character sheet is really simple. You go into the wiki, click on "edit this page", change your HP, Stats, Items being carries or number of arms when one gets lopped off and then hit save page and its all done. A wiki is basically a web page that contains some current information. Its better than a forum because as forum entries get old they fall off the bottom but some information is true no matter how old it is. In those situations you need a wiki.

For a character sheet I think we should roll up or use some method of getting your 6 basic ability scores. We should discuss a starting location which as you guessed, if I were GMing, would be somewhere in Thrubland. Make everyone human or possibly halfling and start as hardy peasants who get roped into something adventurous. I.e. we can skip all the skills and stuff until a bit into it so we can rough out how were going to do it more than worrying about character abilities and bonuses. Perhaps beginnings would deal with doing something non monstrous in task and bring that in after a short while. Lets start small. I havent GM'ed for ages, I have never done or GM'ed a PBM type game either so its daunting for me too.

And the office chair... that seems to typify the level of uselessness that Twitter seems to aim for. Its like the guys at MIT or Cornell or something who put a web server in the coke machine so they didnt have to walk down the corridor to see if its out of cans...

EDIT -- I think Korash has the kind of style id aim for. Very loose and Midgards idea of wordy rather than numeric descriptors is right up my street too. The result needs to read like a book we all made up rather than a wargame journal. Just use some D&D to frame it all so that it balances a bit.
    Last edited by Redrobes; 06-22-2009 at 04:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Redrobes View Post
    EDIT -- I think Korash has the kind of style id aim for. Very loose and Midgards idea of wordy rather than numeric descriptors is right up my street too. The result needs to read like a book we all made up rather than a wargame journal. Just use some D&D to frame it all so that it balances a bit.
    Then I might suggest the the bulk of the discussion concerning tactics and such go into an Out of Character post, so that the actual game thread can be filled with a cohesive game narrative hat won't be broken up with chatter that doesn't belong. Then, when it's all said and done, we should have a pretty solid story suitable for publishing somewhere on the site.

Speaking of running games, does everyone here have access to the DDI character builder demo? The demo version makes characters up to 3rd level--for when I run my 4e game in Ansium somewhere.

-IG

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Korash's Avatar

I did at one point, but not here at work. I know I cleaned out my comp a while back so not too sure that I still have it. Will check when I get home and upload if I can.
    Art Critic = Someone with the Eye of an Artist, Words of a Bard, and the Talent of a Rock.

Please take my critiques as someone who Wishes he had the Talent

Blog Entries

I reckon there should be this mutable very near history and the 'now' and then a separate list for what characters would like to happen and then there is a list of entries for the fixed history - too late to change. That bit should be the one that reads like a book. All the characters chatter on the now and occasionally change the near past. They also need to maintain the future wish list from very near future which is quite clear to the far flung when it all gets very fuzzy.

Link to DDI Character Builder Demo.

D*****, spoke too soon. Have downloaded the program, I can't get it to run.

Boy, that would have saved me. Being completely new to 4e system, an automated character generator sounded perfect. Anywhere else I can try?

Found this character sheet, but it seems impossible to navigate. My participation may have to wait until I can acquire 4E Player's Hand.
    Last edited by Feralspirit; 06-23-2009 at 11:46 PM.
    Doubt is an unpleasant condition, but certainty is absurd. -Voltaire

Quote Originally Posted by Redrobes View Post
    I reckon there should be this mutable very near history and the 'now' and then a separate list for what characters would like to happen and then there is a list of entries for the fixed history - too late to change. That bit should be the one that reads like a book. All the characters chatter on the now and occasionally change the near past. They also need to maintain the future wish list from very near future which is quite clear to the far flung when it all gets very fuzzy.
    Huh?

Quote Originally Posted by Feralspirit View Post
    Link to DDI Character Builder Demo.

D*****, spoke too soon. Have downloaded the program, I can't get it to run.

Boy, that would have saved me. Being completely new to 4e system, an automated character generator sounded perfect. Anywhere else I can try?

Found this character sheet, but it seems impossible to navigate. My participation may have to wait until I can acquire 4E Player's Hand.
    I dunno... if you want basic, just tell me what you're shooting for and I can autogenerate something for you. Then you can just add the fluffy bits. It's a fantastic piece of software, really.

-IG

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Korash's Avatar

yup, I have the demo and setup, but it is copyrighted. don't think that it should be posted here because of that. I also found out that PMs don't allow attachments Sorry guys
    Art Critic = Someone with the Eye of an Artist, Words of a Bard, and the Talent of a Rock.

Please take my critiques as someone who Wishes he had the Talent