Thread: WANTED! Artist for post-concept map creation

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Yeah, artists hear a lot of "It will look great in your portfolio." If it's unpaid, then mark it unpaid.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Midgardsormr View Post
    Yeah, artists hear a lot of "It will look great in your portfolio." If it's unpaid, then mark it unpaid.
    That may be true, but it's a bit harsh, too. Many people come here with no idea what to expect to pay for a nice map. I suspect if someone had volunteered to do Homestead's map for $25, it would have been a "Paid" map. When a potential client finds out that what they want is beyond their means, at least at the moment, they are not insulting anyone by offering whatever they can afford, royalty or future business or credit. There is no rule that says anyone has to accept that, and it doesn't appear to me that Homestead is being demanding or unpleasant because he is hoping for someone to do so.

Community Leader Guild Sponsor - Max -'s Avatar

A bit harsh but I tend to agree on this point. Too many people request a map claiming this would be some free advertising for the artist. First, it's not sure it would be since there's no guarantee that the map will be published. Second, the artist would have worked on the map, whatever the book is published or not. Does that mean that he wouldn't have to be paid for his work, whatever the book is published or not? I don't think so. I don't think that a publisher would make an author work without paying him, and only having his name on a book cover as the only "reward" so why things would be different for an artist?
    I' m also a bit surprised that discussion comes to possible royalties since I don't really see how an author can negociate royalties with the artist, that is some publisher's part.

Quote Originally Posted by - Max - View Post
    A bit harsh but I tend to agree on this point.
    You think so? I was aiming for strident, but I suppose I must have overshot. No disrespect intended, Homestead. Anyway, I see that the title of the thread has been modified, and that's good enough for me. Here's hoping you connect with the right artist for your project!
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Community Leader Guild Sponsor - Max -'s Avatar

You think so? I was aiming for strident, but I suppose I must have overshot. No disrespect intended, Homestead. Anyway, I see that the title of the thread has been modified, and that's good enough for me. Here's hoping you connect with the right artist for your project!
    Well actually not that much Since the requester admitted he didn't know much about commissioning and rates, I don't think it hurts that some professional artist give their points about it, no disrepect here