Thread: First mapping attempt

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Guild Apprentice Facebook Connected Master Rahl372's Avatar

"@Rahl372 - I'm glad you think so about the northern edge, that's where I was having the most anxiety. No, that's not an error, but I kind of did it as a filler. I'm researching 'Köppen climate classification' and Oceanic falls under tropical, so I put tropical there before I get into more detail with other I guess sub-climates (?), like alpine, oceanic, desert, rainforest, etc. But I'm happy you noticed it so I'll get right on tweaking it Question - ice biomes cover 1/3 of the Earth, like you said, would the alpine climate fall under polar? I'm finding conflicting facts here - some say it's temperate, some that it's polar, but the average temperature range for alpine is 12-25 degree Farenheit and it's often also called the Highlands climate. I don't know, would that sort of count as polar or at least polar-adjacent?"

Actually I said deserts cover about 1/3 of the Earth; roughly 33% which not all deserts are hot like the Sahara. The largest desert on earth is actually located in Antarctica. Here's a good link on the Köppen climate classification that I like to use: World Climates. Essentially Alpine climate can be anywhere but it has to be high elevation. The best example which is quite obvious are the Alps in Central Europe, which is in a temperate latitude about 40-50 degrees North.

The climates do look more detailed now that you added more climate zones. I think the most difficult thing about trying to figure out how the climates work is that in reality the Earth's climates aren't sectioned off like in a map; rather things just sort of blend.
    Last edited by Master Rahl372; 12-30-2012 at 06:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Master Rahl372 View Post
    "@Rahl372 - I'm glad you think so about the northern edge, that's where I was having the most anxiety. No, that's not an error, but I kind of did it as a filler. I'm researching 'Köppen climate classification' and Oceanic falls under tropical, so I put tropical there before I get into more detail with other I guess sub-climates (?), like alpine, oceanic, desert, rainforest, etc. But I'm happy you noticed it so I'll get right on tweaking it Question - ice biomes cover 1/3 of the Earth, like you said, would the alpine climate fall under polar? I'm finding conflicting facts here - some say it's temperate, some that it's polar, but the average temperature range for alpine is 12-25 degree Farenheit and it's often also called the Highlands climate. I don't know, would that sort of count as polar or at least polar-adjacent?"

Actually I said deserts cover about 1/3 of the Earth; roughly 33% which not all deserts are hot like the Sahara. The largest desert on earth is actually located in Antarctica. Here's a good link on the Köppen climate classification that I like to use: World Climates. Essentially Alpine climate can be anywhere but it has to be high elevation. The best example which is quite obvious are the Alps in Central Europe, which is in a temperate latitude about 40-50 degrees North.

The climates do look more detailed now that you added more climate zones. I think the most difficult thing about trying to figure out how the climates work is that in reality the Earth's climates aren't sectioned off like in a map; rather things just sort of blend.
    Oops, read that wrong! That's fascinating, I didn't know there was technically a desert in Antarctica. And thank you for the link, I'll definitely check it out - I think I used that site for researching the savanna climate. I'll be sure to look over my Alpine climate regions, too, to account for the high elevation factor. Right, and on Earth you have all these little pockets of sub-climates that are difficult to properly account for. If it didn't take so long to map, I'd feather the edges of all the climates so they look overlapping and show the mix of climates but as it is, that'll just have to exist in my mind I appreciated your input, thanks!